Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do young/new bands know about the music industry?

Options
  • 03-08-2011 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

A young band that were recording a demo/EP asked me a question the other day. What were the steps to getting a CD mastered, printed, copyrighted, into the shops/iTunes and possibly even chart. Basically everything after the initial recording.
    Their lack of knowledge surprised me a bit, granted they were young(ish) but there willingness to keep going despite not knowing what there next step was or even how much it could cost them financially in the end seemed reckless. They had already spent money for the recording time and me and would have to spend more again to see any possible return artistically or financially.

Is this a common occurrence these days? Or has this band just not done their homework?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

It was my experience back a few years ago when I worked in a demo studio that beyond recording the thing and playing it to their mates there wasn't a hell of a lot more thought put into it. It's a fine line for me anyway, the desire to be in a band and play music should be driven by yourself and the people you're in the room with jamming out tunes, that is the idea for me at least, but I tried never to be naiive to the beast outside the window that was corporate thought. A lot of people are naiive, some are just ignorant, some are savvy to the point to make ya jealous, it all depends on how the individuals look at.

Generally speaking, in my experience, it was naiivety, but I'd imagine it's still a common occurrence that very few bands go to record a demo or ep with a bigger picture in mind. The gap between finished product and cover of NME/Kerrang!/Hot Press will always be vast.

Advertisement