Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband

Options
  • 03-08-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Have recently moved house and found out I can't get UPC where I have moved to, I have to get eircom I was wondering peoples experience with eircom what is it like playing games online.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's grand. No complaints really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Just make sure you get a decent router off them. Some routers they use have a bad reputation working with Xbox Live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I've been using it for online gaming since 2006, no significant problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

If you're a fan of Pirate Bay, you're ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Get the older routers off them, the new ones keep disconnecting every half hour for a millisecond, disconnecting Live or PSN. The engineer gave me his own old one to get it to work for me.

I changed to imagine after my mandatory 6 months was up, and IMO they are way better. Some lad done something for me, changed a few settings so that it's better for gaming ("normal" usage on the laptop is slightly slower now, but still great at about 7mb...).

Also, get a homehub if your PS or Xbox is not beside the router, invaluable item for non-fibre optic connections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i had a multitude of problems with eircom, when they changed to their "nextgen broadband" i had regular disconnects from 6pm til around 11pm, which according to eircom is "normal" due to it being the peak time of usage.
    Funny how they sent me three new modems to fix that one..

Ended up switching to UPC after eircom introduced a limit on downloads per month.
    Absolute ripoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

im on 3mb eircom and while it could be better (2.6MB Download speed and only .3mb upload speed on speedtest.net) for streaming/downloading/etc, my ping is very low and thus really good for gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I find them alright,but expensive. Only with them because we can't get any other provider yet.

But it seems the internet is broken more often than not at times....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

actually the easiest block to get around...considering they are a top company, its ridiculous how easy it is...which leads on to my next point...

they're not a top company :P

im gaming with them...and its meh....make sure you change any settings that needs doing to open you NAT stuff etc. and you'll be find..like im on the edge of a connection, so get slower speeds (youtube vids are slow) but gaming doesnt suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    i had regular disconnects from 6pm til around 11pm, which according to eircom is "normal" due to it being the peak time of usage.

There are also alternatives to eircom. If the points that Mr. Saturn and degrassinoel are an issue for you, they are worth considering. I was in a similar situation as the OP moving away from an area with UPC coverage, and went with Magnet, no blocking of certain webpages, zero contention so no worries about peak times, and - most important for me - no download limits. As far as I know Eircom have download limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    and - most important for me - no download limits. As far as I know Eircom have download limits.
    They all have download limits. Just some providers call it "unlimited" until you go over it, and then cite their "fair use policy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Was with them in my old place and they were fine, changed to Vodafone as they were cheaper, but ended up changing back again as Vodafone used to disconnect every 20mins or so, absolutely head wrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Left them for UPC a month ago. Worst decision I've made in a long, long time. Definitely going back. Getting this post away has even taken some time, if it arrives at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I found Eircom grand for gaming. The pings were a little higher in my experience and I had more downtime compared to UPC, but still usable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My advice is avoid if you can.
    Checkout this thread for a problem i had, nine months later eircom realised they had a broken card at the exchange or something :rolleyes:
    Despite my constant calls and bringing to their attention via phone calls, their support forum etc they ignored me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056115721

If eircom didnt have a forum here on boards it would never have got sorted.
    Two years previous to this we had a similar issue that took 7 months to sort out.

What i will say is once they sorted things out everything is perfect, correct download speeds and pings for my connection.
    The problem is getting them to even recognise an issue,very difficult to deal with, your only hope if you run into issues is the guys on the eircom board here on boards.

Advertisement