Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

polytunnels

Options
  • 03-08-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi
    Saw on offer from polytunnel.ie and was thinking of getting one. 14x20 for 800
    Firstly - Anyone had any dealings with them?
    Secondly & more importantly....are they worth it? I do a lotta gardening.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

€800 erected, or just supply?
    seems steep to me; i know someone who got an 11x30 for (i think) €360. supply only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Having done a lot of research lately that sounds high. That said, are you getting a lot of extras? Like crop bars and irrigation?
    Plenty places do them, just google. polydome.ie and highbank.ie are just 2.
    I am going for the DIY option and am on course to do it for about 150. Check this out and consider it?

http://www.overthegardengate.net/userpages/pp_view.asp?fname=polytunnel&page=1

From reading they are definately worth it, considering the price the equivalent space in a greenhouse would cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have been looking a lot recently and this crowd seem to be the best price I can find
    http://www.gardenpolytunnels.ie
    Crap website but they look good and strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭liamhana

800 includes installation and crop bars. I would get it installed as I've seen too many badly done home installments.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

I think it sounds like a good deal they are not as easy as they look to erect and to get the cover nice and tight. Has it got 2 doors on it as its important to let the air flow right through the tunnel.If you can get straight sides all the better. Have you any pics or a web site your getting it from

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

liamhana wrote: »
    800 includes installation and crop bars. I would get it installed as I've seen too many badly done home installments.
    i've helped put one up myself. it's a lot of work.

Sounds ok if they are erecting it too. Does it include the gable ends? Sometimes those are an expensive extra. What gauage cover is it coming with?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭liamhana

redser7 wrote: »
    Sounds ok if they are erecting it too. Does it include the gable ends? Sometimes those are an expensive extra. What gauage cover is it coming with?

website is www.polytunnelsireland.ie

The polythene used is 720 guage (180 microns) or 800 guage and comes in clear or opaque. Has straight sides & hinged door at each end.

I've a bit of work to be done in the area I'm putting in during august/sept before I'd be ready for it - some clearance & leveling to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Like the glasshouse thread the true test will be a windy winter to see was the polytunnel worth it.

Doesnt sound too bad so. I'm at the levelling stage myself. Actually I'm taking 8 inches off the top of a 100 square m plot, taking out the stones and will then reuse it to fill raised beds. Think about that yourself if you are using raised beds in the tunnel. At 80 euro a ton, it will save you money. You probably wont have to go down that deep though just for tunnel beds.
    I'll be biting my nails alright during its maiden storm. Have seen a few built using the same plans and they are rock solid so here's hoping ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gardenman77

Just thought I'd add to this. With last years heavy snowfall, a lot of tunnels were crushed under the weight of the snow.
    If setting up a new house, it is really worh paying a little bit more for crop bars. They will provide much extra support. Without them the tunnel could be gone on Christmas morning.
    With regard to gauge, again, 800 will last considerably longer. Irish wind is not kind to polytunnels.
    One last thing - try and put anti-hot spot type on the bars. This will reduce wear on the polythene touching the bars and again will result in a few more years of durability.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Having done a lot of research lately that sounds high. That said, are you getting a lot of extras? Like crop bars and irrigation?
    Plenty places do them, just google. polydome.ie and highbank.ie are just 2.
    I am going for the DIY option and am on course to do it for about 150. Check this out and consider it?

http://www.overthegardengate.net/userpages/pp_view.asp?fname=polytunnel&page=1

From reading they are definately worth it, considering the price the equivalent space in a greenhouse would cost.

could you repost the link please, its not working for me.

That's weird. Second time that didn't work for me. Google 'over the garden gate al's polytunnel' and you'll get a working link. It's often referenced on other forums, great set of instructions.

That's weird. Second time that didn't work for me. Google 'over the garden gate al's polytunnel' and you'll get a working link. It's often referenced on other forums, great set of instructions.

lol first result for that search was here:D

looks good and would seem fairly solid, he seems to have the steel bars running 3' up the plastic tubing for added strength.
    i might try and build a 20ftx 10ft on of these and see how it stands up to my extremely exposed site. might put in an extra one or two hoops to strenghten it up so that the wind won't rip the plastic.;)
    where would i get the plastic for this? and is it expensive?

here is the address bar
    http://www.overthegardengate.net/userpages/pp_view.asp?FName=polytunnel&Page=1

I'm building a 10 x 20 and getting some advice from a guy who did the same and his is standing up no problem. Closer hoops would help against the wind. As will diagonal cross bracing at the corners and baton running the lenght of both sides.
    I'm getting my cover from nad (720 gague). They come in fixed cut sizes and mine will be more than I need for 130.

a few pictures of your work in progress would be great:)

Must do that. It just looks like a big empty swimming pool right now as I try to strip the site :-) Hope to have it all done by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

I got my 14x20 tunnel from them 2.5 years ago. We have a STRONG north wind on site & had heavy snowfall twice last year & it is unphased. I am so glad I went ahead & got it when I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Thinking of building one like this myself. Where did you source the 50mm pipe redser7?

That was the biggest headache. In the end I couldn't get enough second hand with 50mm internal diameter to take the scaffold pipe. You can get a roll new from builders or plumbers providers. Or else scour building sites and scrap yards and ask around. So it takes perseverance and a bit of luck to get it free or cheap.
    In the end I managed to get enough of a roll of esb duct which is just a little too narrow to sleeve over the pipe. So I have a Macgyver solution to span the pipe and scaffold with rebar and tie the whole thing together with chewing gum, wire and other bits and bobs :-) Should work (I hope).
    Dublin Providers stock the 50mm pipe if you want to buy new and I think they will sell in 6m lengths.

• Advertisement

That was the biggest headache. In the end I couldn't get enough second hand with 50mm internal diameter to take the scaffold pipe. You can get a roll new from builders or plumbers providers. Or else scour building sites and scrap yards and ask around. So it takes perseverance and a bit of luck to get it free or cheap.
    In the end I managed to get enough of a roll of esb duct which is just a little too narrow to sleeve over the pipe. So I have a Macgyver solution to span the pipe and scaffold with rebar and tie the whole thing together with chewing gum, wire and other bits and bobs :-) Should work (I hope).
    Dublin Providers stock the 50mm pipe if you want to buy new and I think they will sell in 6m lengths.

can't wait to see this pic:pac:

I'm building a 10 x 20 and getting some advice from a guy who did the same and his is standing up no problem. Closer hoops would help against the wind. As will diagonal cross bracing at the corners and baton running the lenght of both sides.
    I'm getting my cover from nad (720 gague). They come in fixed cut sizes and mine will be more than I need for 130.

redser have you a link or a number for that crowd doing the polythene cover?

Advertisement