Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Irish difficult in Arts in 2nd/3rd year ??

Options
  • 03-08-2011 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm going into 2nd year Arts and I have to choose my 2 subjects!Geography is a definite however, I'm confused over whether to keep on Irish or archaeology?
    I Would like to do primary teaching after this degree however my irish is terrible and i really struggled with it this year!!
    What is Irish like in 2nd year??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

cli101 wrote: »
    I'm going into 2nd year Arts and I have to choose my 2 subjects!Geography is a definite however, I'm confused over whether to keep on Irish or archaeology?
    I Would like to do primary teaching after this degree however my irish is terrible and i really struggled with it this year!!
    What is Irish like in 2nd year??

I didn't study Irish but some practical advice can be offered.

You said your Irish was terrible and you struggled. Automatically this should be taken as a warning to yourself not to advance on. Many Arts subjects get harder as the course goes on, the workload increases and you must enjoy it in order to get the best out of it. I knew classmates who continued on French and in 2nd and 3rd year they found it very difficult but had to forge on.

I know I'm probably scaring you off Irish but you can make your own choice but the work will get harder and you may regret it. Some other folks could advise on the detailed aspects of the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

Personally,I took 20 credits or Irish and did quite well in 1st year...

2nd and third year went downhill for me big time... I got terrible tutors (be careful of who you get!!!) and we weren't really told until March what our grammar paper lay out was. Some lecturers still have the élitest attitude of chatting mainly with the Gaeilgeoirí, looking down on people who might have forgotten some vocab or expressed difficulty at certain Irish courses (this happened to me during my final year ORAL!!!) and just basically not making it a welcoming environment. They spend 60% of lectures telling us the language is dying and spend the other 40% expressing an attitude that the majority of Irish students in front of them shouldn't be there.

I would NOT suggest doing it again. I averaged around 55% and worked my arse off this year. I honestly don't know how I could have gotten a better result. I got an A1 in the leaving and spend my summers in Irish colleges, read Irish lit regularly and have a genuine interest in the language. I'm not disillusioned, I know I am good at the language but there seems to be a certain "x factor" needed to be accepted as a genuine scholar of Gaeilge in the UCC Irish department and I just do not have it... If you're not sure of your standard-stay away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cli101

The only reason I would keep Irish on at this stage would be the fact that Irish will be v.important in order to do primary teaching!I'm afraid that I might regret not keeping it on?!! But I found Irish a nightmare this year!!esp. the oral tutor classes!They just had no time for students that were struggling with the language!!!
    Thanks a mill for the advice!:)

So do you think you'll keep it on?
    My friends that did it last year found it almost impossible!!
    Hope your happy with whatever you choose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LarLar

Irish is hard in 2nd year. . .Im going into 3rd year now in September and I found the standard of marking in Irish so hard! I went to secondary school in the Gaeltacht so my Irish is of a good standard, I got an A in my leaving cert.

However, my marks in 2nd year are averaging in the mid 50's....god help the people who didn't grow up with Irish. Alot of fails I suspect.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

cli101 wrote: »
    The only reason I would keep Irish on at this stage would be the fact that Irish will be v.important in order to do primary teaching!I'm afraid that I might regret not keeping it on?!!

Hey cli! I did Irish just for first year and now I'm doing Hibernia! Starting my second TP next month. I would think that there is no need to keep it on - I certainly don't regret dropping it. I love the language, but HATED the Irish course in UCC so I stuck with French and Spanish - obviously fairly useless for a primary teacher.

I'm not long back from the Gaeltacht part of the course and there were people I met there with woeful Irish, so you're probably miles ahead of most people you'd be on the course with. If you don't enjoy it, don't keep it on. You could always sign up for the conversation classes that go on every term in the ORB anyway. When I was there they refunded you the fee (€100) if you had over 80% attendance so it could be well worth looking into. It would give you a lot of confidence in speaking the language (way more important than anything else) and it would look very good on an application for Hibernia or any of the primary teaching courses really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jgjm

Irish ucc third year
    which modules are the best ones to pick in terms of passing and the lecturer ?

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jgjm

Irish at ucc third year modules
    which ones are the best to pick in terms of passing and the lecturer ?

any advice greatly appreciated please!!!!

Advertisement