Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No reference from work!

Options
  • 03-08-2011 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit fed up as I have recently found out that my employer (in the uk) does not give references to employees. This is every employee regardless of how good or bad they were at their job or how long they spent working there.I found out from 2 friends of mine at work who recently requested them. Initially I wondered was it just them, and perhaps there was more to it, until we all received an email from the manager saying that if so and so contacts any of us for a reference we are not under any circumstances to give her one as only the line manager can do so. incidentally the person she was referring to had 7 years experience and was a fantastic colleague and it turns out that yes,she couldn't get a reference either. One of my friends had questioned our manager over why she won't give references and she said it's because she doesn't want any of us to leave.

I'm really annoyed and very worried as I was hoping to apply for a HDip next year and need a reference. I have looked into it and yes, she is not obliged to give me one- so I was planning on contacting her superior and HR to see could they speak to her, or could I at least get proof of employment. My other big worry is how I am going to explain this in interviews with prospective employers?! let's face it, it does not look good in the slightest!

really annoyed about this, as I consider myself a hard worker, I have no complaints against me, no major mistakes or issues, no breaks in service and feel like I wasted my time in this place!

any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

They had the same policy at a place I've worked in the past, yet it wasn't unheard of for a manager to write up a letter of recommendation if asked nicely:rolleyes:. Either way, you're absolutely entitled to proof of employment. I do not understand this no reference lark myself.
    While it doesn't look good in an interview situation, all you need to do is explain the policy in the interview. It's not your fault.
    Proof of employment and references from previous employers as well as a character reference should help. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

girlfonfire: ill try asking and see what happens- work the charm a bit ;) other wise ya I was thinking of explaining that she had a policy of not giving them out to anyone.

sunflower27: was thinking of just writing in her details if I am implicitly asked for past employer details, but I think it's best practice to ask for permission for a proper reference first- plus she is the kind of woman who would say "I'm not going to give her a reference" response. Also the course I'm applying for want the work reference as part of the application form- this place is my second job , my longest term of employment in one place and the one most relevant to that course- in fact I was hoping that this job would be the thing that would get it for me or at least make me stand out more! but I think you're right, hopefully if I make it to interview stage, I would be able to explain the situation better and my last employer (even though the work wasn't as relevant) gave me a glowing ref. which I was really pleased about :) so I'll try and find out if I could use that one instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

hey OP,

Was just thinking, I applied for a position recently and don't have written references. I just put the names, current titles and mobile numbers of people that can be contacted on my behalf (two ex-bosses).

Can you not do that? If your employers are contacted they will have to explain that they don't do references. Put it back on them. I'd imagine they would feel pretty stupid saying 'er, um, we don't do references here' :rolleyes:

This is not good advice - you do not put someone down as a reference unless they already know that you're gonna put them down as one.

OP - go to HR, they are obliged to give you proof of employment at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It's the same for me. I get around it by using 'personal references' rather than work references. But it's really a work reference.

It's even worse for me, I was contacted by a major multi-national company (I work for one also) and was told if I wanted to pursue a role with them it would be tricky as they have an agreement not to take staff from each other. I then confronted my boss about this and apparently it's pretty common practice. My company is one of the largest in the world and so we'd have a lot of partners, thus my chances are pretty limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Many companies are like this. They will only confirm that you worked there and for how long but don't give information on what you did or how well you did there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Many companies are like this. They will only confirm that you worked there and for how long but don't give information on what you did or how well you did there.

Yep, pretty standard in large organisations.

I believe it to protect the company from legal action from an ex-employee who received an reference her/she deemed unfair/inaccurate?

Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Yep, pretty standard in large organisations.

I believe it to protect the company from legal action from an ex-employee who received an reference her/she deemed unfair/inaccurate?

Could be wrong though.

Correct. But also to protect the company's image. E.G..imagine they gave a glowing reference to someone who later went on to steal millions from the new employer.

Large companies generally don't give references, but there is nothing to stop individuals from giving references. I've done this many time for ex-team members etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

As far as I know most companies nowadays won't give written references.

Most managers would be happy for you to put them down as a referee on your CV with the office/business phone number.

If you have been with the company for a long time and have always worked as you should have I can't see why a verbal reference can't be given.

If "one" did go on to steal millions in a future job, the manager/HR can always deny any such conversation.

That's my understanding of it anyway. I haven't got a written reference from a job in years but no problem whatsever in getting good verbal ones from previous employers.

I would advise you to contact the HR Department directly and ask what is their policy.

Best of luck.

Advertisement