Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go? Long Distance Trek in October...

Options
  • 02-08-2011 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,

I am looking to walk a long distance waymarked trail in October 2011. I plan to spend 2-3 weeks walking. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've been to the Himalaya a few times so don't want to go back there. Europe is probably out cause the weather is going to be too unpredictable in Oct. I'm pretty open to anything else but I will be on my own so I want it to be relatively popular. I don't want to take a guide or a porter. Budget is also small so I am looking to camp or stay in hostels/homestays.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks!!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Hey, you could look at going to Patagonia and doing the Torres Del Paine Circuit which takes just over week. I was there in October a few years back and did the shorter 'W' version. There are hostels along the 'W' part of the trail and campsites dotted along the full circuit. It will be Spring down there in October so you would have to be prepared for all sorts of weather. There will be people on the trails but not so busy as you cant get a bed in the hostels enroute.

There are plenty of other trails in that part of the world to fill out your time. I spent a couple of days trekking in Fitzroy NP aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 burren

I'd suggest walking parts of the GR10 and/or GR11 trails in the Pyrenees. October normally provides plenty of fair weather especially in the eastern parts closer to the Mediterrenean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I'm just back from a week in the Ordesa Canyon area of the Pyrenees, challenging with a pack, fabulous scenery, we climbed 4 reasonably high peaks >3000m. Facilities for camping are reasonably good, or there's also the refugios which are warm and have good food and bad toilets :)

All in all, really great area for long distance trekking and I believe weather is still good in Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

If the cost of flights is not prohibitive you could do some of the John Muir trail in the Sierra Nevada.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 vincentohanlon

thanks guys. I did 3 weeks in the pyrenees a few years back so, although I love the pyrenees, especially ordessa, its not a candidate for this excursion. :D

Have had a quick look at the JMT and it looks like an option, thanks for passing that on... I'm also coming to the conclusion that Nepal might not be such a bad option (I know I said above that I didn't want to go back), but it does offer a lot of what I am looking for :)

Thanks for the replies but I'm 80% sure that its going to be Nepal :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement