Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online radio costs any idea?

Options
  • 02-08-2011 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies but I'm new to android phones just purchased my 1st one ever.

I have downloaded the free online radio app tuninradio asmi have always love usingnitmaround the house with iPad and the iPod touch via home wifi.

My phone is a Vodafone prepay which is supposed to have free internet monthly allowance.

If I were to go around places using the phones internet to use the online radio would I eat up data and blow a small fortune on phone credit? :confused:

Any advice greatly appreciated asni said iam new to mobile phones with online capabilities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Yes will probably use a fair bit of data. What is your data allowance? Is it per day or per month?

If it is per month, then you get download a data monitoring app, and see how much it uses when listening for a fixed period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think it is worked out something like this:

Assuming a 64kbps stream (note: some stations are 32, others are 128 - you need to check):

64/8 = 8kb/sec = 480kb/min = 28800 kb/hour = approx. 28Mb per hour

If you have a 500Mb per month data allowance, that will give you approx. 17 hours per month. Don't forget other apps will eat into your data allowance so this figure is very rough.

Advertisement