Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dota 2 showcase - 1 million dollars to winner

Options
  • 02-08-2011 1:32pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭

www.dota2.com

16 of the best dota teams invited to play at a tournament.
    Before it is even out 1.6 million in prizes is being given to this showcase tournament. Been waiting on this game for ages, cant wait to watch the stream

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

I want want to know if it's going to be free to play or not. I'm semi-interested but I don't want to spend a chunk of cash to find out I hate it. I know Dota Allstars, LoL and HoN are free, but I've heard the communities are terribly unfriendly to new players and seeing as Dota 2 is going to ship with Valve's coaching system and a bunch of tutorials it sounds like it's going to be the easiest of the lot to pick up, assuming it doesn't cost me €40.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i doubt it will be free as so many people will buy it, ill be getting it as soon as i can, it may be a case that it becomes free in time though! if it was free at launch that would be amazing. to get an idea of gameplay play any of the titles you mention, yes they are unfriendly, as are most games, especially the competitive side. It may get amplified in dota as one new person ruins a game.

perhaps try hon? it is free now and its all new player vs new player for the most part, you cant play the people who bought accounts till you earn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Any idea what it's going to cost?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dunno, heard rumours of 60 dollars

they might announce at the launch, lets hope free!

dota2-morphling.jpg

dota2-lina.jpg

dota2-drowranger.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

dunno, heard rumours of 60 dollars

they might announce at the launch, lets hope free!

No , I really really hope its not f2p, I would rather spend the money and have access to the whole hero pool straight away rather than savign up with micro transactions, don't get me wrong, I think it works in LoL, and HoN's take on it albeit a rip off might work as well ( I care less now as my account got the legacy upgrade )

But this is DOTA MAN, how could you possibly want to play with a limited hero pool ?? and they would shoot themselves in the foot if it was f2p as the pro players will all have to save up to get the characters etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I really hope it's not F2P, i really hate that, and it makes the community pretty ****ty (as if dota-clone communities werent bad enough).

But this is some epic advertising for 1,000,000 dollars, every hon, LoL, DoTA player will probably end up checking out this tourney to see what it's like.

$60 does seem a bit much but sure people will buy it no matter what.

GO_Bear wrote: »
    No , I really really hope its not f2p, I would rather spend the money and have access to the whole hero pool straight away rather than savign up with micro transactions, don't get me wrong, I think it works in LoL, and HoN's take on it albeit a rip off might work as well ( I care less now as my account got the legacy upgrade )

But this is DOTA MAN, how could you possibly want to play with a limited hero pool ?? and they would shoot themselves in the foot if it was f2p as the pro players will all have to save up to get the characters etc
    Perhaps they could do limited character pool for F2P, premium membership with all heroes for €40, single hero purchases or cosmetic items as micro-transactions.

Or the ability to unlock heroes through playing with the options of buying them to save time. Being F2P doesn't mean they'd have to use the same system as LoL.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I dont mind paying full price for it. if people payed full price for portal 2, then i dont see problem with DOTA 2.

Any news on release date thought?

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Perhaps they could do limited character pool for F2P, premium membership with all heroes for €40, single hero purchases or cosmetic items as micro-transactions.

They could but I think it would be counter productive, immediately adding a rift into the community splitting it into two groups
    Or the ability to unlock heroes through playing with the options of buying them to save time.

This is what LoL does, great for most people, and I quite like it in league, but if I wanted to buy the whole hero pool it would cost about 300 dollars isn't it ?
    Being F2P doesn't mean they'd have to use the same system as LoL.

Yes but they where the first MoBA to do it right

Its just my preference for it to be a one time payment, there are pros and cons to both really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Companion box

There will be a one off payment but you'll have the option to buy hats....

Well, they did this to TF, so i am prety sure they will pull off something similar in dota.

i actually cant recognise the companies i grew up with lately.

capcom - the biggest greediest bastards with theyr lock up save games.
    blizzard - AH for real money in diablo 3
    Valve - From making extremely high quality games, moved to support F2P model.
    EA - Started to be decent and lets developers to be creative?

Valve - From making extremely high quality games, moved to support F2P model.
    You seem to suggest these two things are mutually exclusive.

GO_Bear wrote: »
    This is what LoL does, great for most people, and I quite like it in league, but if I wanted to buy the whole hero pool it would cost about 300 dollars isn't it ?
    I have no idea, I've never played any of these games except for a single game of Dota Allstars I barely remember. I was under the impression from what I've read though that the way the LoL system worked was that there is a rota of free heroes that changes so at any given time you have access to certain heroes for free, and then you can pay to access a given hero all the time. What I was suggesting was you start of with access to only a few starter heroes (say four strength heroes, four agility heroes, four intelligence heroes (I'm assuming the heroes work similarly to WC3 heroes)) and as you play each hero/win matches/reach certain milestones you either unlock more heroes or earn in-game points to buy heroes. That way you can earn every hero permanently for free if you're willing to invest enough time or can just buy them. $300 is a lot to get every hero though. Surely it should be less than one hundred.

As for splitting the playerbase. Well, there's always a split in a game that doesn't give every weapon to everyone from the start. Whether that's Dota, CoDBO, BFBC2 or what have you. The only difference between those systems and what I'm suggesting is that you could pay to get stuff faster, same as TF2. All gameplay affecting things should be achievable without having to spend more money than other players.

You seem to suggest these two things are mutually exclusive.

I have no idea, I've never played any of these games except for a single game of Dota Allstars I barely remember. I was under the impression from what I've read though that the way the LoL system worked was that there is a rota of free heroes that changes so at any given time you have access to certain heroes for free, and then you can pay to access a given hero all the time. What I was suggesting was you start of with access to only a few starter heroes (say four strength heroes, four agility heroes, four intelligence heroes (I'm assuming the heroes work similarly to WC3 heroes)) and as you play each hero/win matches/reach certain milestones you either unlock more heroes or earn in-game points to buy heroes. That way you can earn every hero permanently for free if you're willing to invest enough time or can just buy them. $300 is a lot to get every hero though. Surely it should be less than one hundred.

As for splitting the playerbase. Well, there's always a split in a game that doesn't give every weapon to everyone from the start. Whether that's Dota, CoDBO, BFBC2 or what have you. The only difference between those systems and what I'm suggesting is that you could pay to get stuff faster, same as TF2. All gameplay affecting things should be achievable without having to spend more money than other players.

no one tells you to own all heroes. buying out all of them is very stupid. i play lol for 2-3 months now and i only barely mastered 2 champions! i own around 6 of my own champs and on lookout for one more as one of my regulars got nerfed to holy jesus.

i sort of like the model of earning your own champions. they feel more special for you later on.

to show how serious business dota 2 will be, a man has bought one of the organisations entering the competition for 6.2 MILLION

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/03/serious-biz-dota-team-bought-for-6m/#more-68363

to show how serious business dota 2 will be, a man has bought one of the organisations entering the competition for 6.2 MILLION

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/03/serious-biz-dota-team-bought-for-6m/#more-68363

:eek: Serious money there, I just hope the game lives upto its predecessor !

How can they do a such a huge tourney on game that is not even out yet?!

So 17 will be only for tourney or public release too?

How can they do a such a huge tourney on game that is not even out yet?!

So 17 will be only for tourney or public release too?

The tourney and the first public viewing is what was announced, I am not sure when the game is out , but surely it must be ready to go or almost finished for them to be having a tourney

think they are beta'ing it in aurtumn, i'd say it's quite done though, just needs some balancing and more testing etc

sounds like a lot of money in it so far!

Says on the Steam Store page that they're planning on a large-scale beta in the autumn.

• Advertisement

think they are beta'ing it in aurtumn, i'd say it's quite done though, just needs some balancing and more testing etc

sounds like a lot of money in it so far!

Hope its open beta, you can only really balance these games as they go along, you can never expect how some people will use the heroes

hope so, probably not, maybe invites or something to drum up interest.

cant wait to watch the tourney on vent with popcorn :pac:

hope so, probably not, maybe invites or something to drum up interest.

cant wait to watch the tourney on vent with popcorn :pac:

I'll be away at a conference :(

Interesting to see if they port all of the dota heroes like Invoker and Rubik

have no idea who rubik is!

i hear there is internet at conferences :D

have no idea who rubik is!

i hear there is internet at conferences :D

ye but we all know conferences are post grads holidays , so I want to get drunk ;o , and I am to poor to pay for an extra bag with Ryan air so cannot fit my laptop !

just not hardcore enough! it's rare that i look forward to paying for something!

just not hardcore enough! it's rare that i look forward to paying for something!

Well I always look forward to getting laid

Edit, if people don't get the joke it just looks weird

haha!

also do many hon people use steam? thats usually how we get games, 'yo hon now'

• Advertisement

haha!

also do many hon people use steam? thats usually how we get games, 'yo hon now'

I use it but don't play many steam games !

Advertisement