Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NOT GOING TO make IT AS FAR AS flight!

Options
  • 02-08-2011 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

A few mths ago I went against my heart and booked a flight to Africa, I have an unmerciful fear of flying.Flying out fri and I really am thinking that Im not going to get on the plane!!
    I havent slept in weeks,have lost weight thinkin about it,and feel that Im not even going to make it as far as the plane. This has been on going for yrs, Ive taken Valium, this time Ill be on something stronger.
    Plzz anyone any advice, even writing this my body is tensing up, on plane I cry, I have panic attacks, I tlk to myself, I shake my leg the entire flight!! My longest flight ever has been to Crete and at that my friend had told me it was ony 2 hrs on the plane but ended up being 4.
    Has ANYONE flown from dub to south africa and how did they find the flight??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I dinno if you've missed your flight yet, but i think you should definitely go, if you don't go you'll really miss out, i love flying and planes but i hate take offs (that feeling) and then turbulence but once i get up its fine. I take these tablet things and then its fine you should give that a try. And remember when you hit a bump it'll be fine because turbulence CANNOT bring a plane down its impossible. And do not worry about the doors opening because theres too much pressure on them and again that would be impossible for them to open. And somehow i doubt your flying from dublin to cape town its probably dublin to heathrow to cape town. The airline will either be british airways or south african airways so i dinno. Anyway good luck you should count yourself lucky that you aren't flying over the atlantic that can be quite turbulent at times and looking out of the window seeing ocean for thousands of miles is scary. but i just set a timer for 3.30 hours and then its all land i think thats what keeps me from getting scared because i know theres only 3.30 hours to go and then its all land. Also you should tell the flight attendants that you are scared and they will be glad to help you out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

owenc wrote: »
    I dinno if you've missed your flight yet, but i think you should definitely go, if you don't go you'll really miss out, i love flying and planes but i hate take offs (that feeling) and then turbulence but once i get up its fine. I take these tablet things and then its fine you should give that a try. And remember when you hit a bump it'll be fine because turbulence CANNOT bring a plane down its impossible. And do not worry about the doors opening because theres too much pressure on them and again that would be impossible for them to open. And somehow i doubt your flying from dublin to cape town its probably dublin to heathrow to cape town. The airline will either be british airways or south african airways so i dinno. Anyway good luck you should count yourself lucky that you aren't flying over the atlantic that can be quite turbulent at times and looking out of the window seeing ocean for thousands of miles is scary. but i just set a timer for 3.30 hours and then its all land i think thats what keeps me from getting scared because i know theres only 3.30 hours to go and then its all land. Also you should tell the flight attendants that you are scared and they will be glad to help you out.

You can't rationalise air travel to an Aerophobic, trust me, I overcame it today for the first time, I'll start a thread on that soon. But OP, go to your GP, I was prescibed Xanax, it's not like valium, you won't just be knocked out, it helps sleep, but won't conk you out. Now this sounds awful cause you want to be conked out, but trust me, as a serious Aviophobe, it worked miracles for me, it completely calms you, you can take it in the days before as well for the panic attacks, I've had the sleepless nights myself, ruined whole holidays by only worrying about the flight home the whole time, but this medication changed it for me, I recommend you go to your GP and see what he says about it, It's worth it.

Advertisement