Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any thoughts on Millstreet this year

Options
  • 02-08-2011 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on the 2011 Millstreet show. Are people competing, are people going to go down for a look. What days are people thinking of going down for.

I havent heard much fuss about it, everyone was talking about Dublin but even though they were talking most said they wouldnt be going. I havent heard any media coverage about Millstreet either where as Dubling had a large run of adds on Today Fm.

Eoghan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'd imagine Millstreet will be well supported. The Duggans seem to have loyal supporters as we saw last year when the SJI had the threat af bans issued to compeditiors.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Is the threat of a penalty and/or ban still in place?

Not sure Convert. I haven't heard much talk about bans this year anyway.

I've read about threats of bans and financial penalties for riders who compete in non affiliated SJI shows (or something similar - can't remember the exact wording, or whether it was just 'big' shows to which the penalties applies). Seems a pity that things haven't been resolved thus far, as Millstreet was always a big even on the show jumping calendar. But as far as I remember, it's quite a while back since I read those articles. Haven't seen/heard anything specifically referring to Millstreet, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

SJI have suspended clause 299n which was the one in question while they review a report from the competition authority.

The reason I ask about thoughts is. You have the RDS show which is SJI affiliated which is running for one week, then the next week you have Millstreet which is un-affiliated and then the week after you have the National Championships which is obviously affiliated. So we were concerned people would break and rest for Millstreet.

There are all sorts of whispers that numbers are down this year but its hard to know. Everyone said last year that it was disappointing, from both a traders point of view and for the people attending.

Has it lost its wow factor???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Horsetiger

The Competition Authority has awarded three faults against Showjumping Ireland after feisty Cork businessman Noel C Duggan complained that the organisation had broken competition law.
    The 79-year-old businessman, who runs the famous Green Glens Arena in Millstreet, Co Cork, raised issue with Showjumping Ireland over its rule 299N, which prevents show jumpers from participating in "unaffiliated events" like the Millstreet Show this week.
    "The success of show jumping events depends, to a significant extent, on the ability of organisers to attract, in sufficient number, quality riders," the Competition Authority found.
    "Article 299N means that unaffiliated shows find it difficult to attract such riders."
    "It's a victory for the small man," said Mr Duggan from his Green Glen's Arena last week, where he runs show jumping events and concerts.
    Ronan Corrigan of Showjumping Ireland said as a result of the ruling his organisation will not be implementing the rule until the matter is thrashed out by its executive committee.
    The row between the colourful Cork entrepreneur and Showjumping Ireland came about after a disagreement about insurance cover in 2007.
    Because of the dispute there was no show at Millstreet in 2009 and last year it was "unaffiliated", therefore many of the top riders were precluded from taking part in it.
    As a result Mr Duggan took the case to the Competition Authority accusing the Irish show jumping authorities of "penalising" members who competed in unaffiliated events.
    Duggan's Millstreet Horse Show begins next Tuesday, with 5,000 entries and over 800 horses stabled on the site. A huge audience is expected at the Co Cork venue.
    - LIAM COLLINS
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/showjumping-ireland-faulted-for-breach-of-competition-law-2841925.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I've never been to Millstreet, does it have good trade stands and atmoshpere?

Well we have an excellent trade stand (so we're told!) as we have a few exclusive brands that no other tack shop in munster has but we decided against millstreet this year as we couldn't get clarification on entries and according to retailers last year numbers were disappointing.

Hard to kbow really.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Horsetiger

twomeys wrote: »
    Well we have an excellent trade stand (so we're told!) as we have a few exclusive brands that no other tack shop in munster has but we decided against millstreet this year as we couldn't get clarification on entries and according to retailers last year numbers were disappointing.

Hard to kbow really.

Last years numbers were only disappointing because of the ridiculous threats issued by Showjumping Ireland in the run-up to the show. This put many competitors, officials and spectators off attending. With the removal of Art 299N the fear of suspension has been lifted and this year's show should be on a par with the Millstreet of old :)

I don't really bother with trade stands, but the atmosphere used to be good there on the Friday and Saturday nights there for the 3yo and 4yo finals.

• Advertisement

Cian cleaned up on Sunday. Won the Boomerang and 1st and 2nd in the GP. Mervyn Clarke won the Derby on Sat.

Is it just me living in my own little world, or was there nothing about it in the press?

Your right Convert the media coverage was terrible. No radio, no tv, nothing. Thats why we didnt go with the shop. We did laugh though last week, two girls came into the shop and looked at our Horze range and didnt buy anything then left. At 5:30 I got a call from them, will ye stay open late we need some bits. Turned out they went to Millstreet, had a look at the trade stands and then came back to us cause they couldnt get better quality for price there!!!

Usually the stands flog stuff but this year it was very different...

Happy days for us though!!

Eoghan

On the plus side, at least they had the sense to shop around! :D

haha exactly, but Convert you dont need to shop around when it comes to Twomeys, we're such good value!!!!! (waiting to get post band!!)

But ya, I was glad when they came back cause genuinely they saw we werent leading them up the garden path, but on a serious note I wish more people would shop around its vital in the equestrian game cause there are still a lot of cowboys out there....

convert wrote: »
    Is it just me living in my own little world, or was there nothing about it in the press?

The Examiner covered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 CarlaAnkiah

I headed up there on the friday evening and again on the sunday. There was a good crowd both days and I had a great time there. Hopefully I can get there with my horse next year :)

Advertisement