Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog pooing on carpet HELP

Options
  • 02-08-2011 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Hi all, lately (past 3 weeks) my dog has been pooing on the carpet and i have no idea why! She has a toilet in another room that she usually jumps into everytime to do her business. She is a pekingese cross. Does anyone have any ideas why? She never does this and now its happened again, has happened once a week now. I have no idea what to do. I hope she hasnt got used to this and make it a habit. We give out to her everytime and she knows its wrong and stuff. The first time it happened we thought she had eaten alot and just couldnt hold it, then it happened again and now again today. So im clueless atm!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 DubDubStep

Close the door ;]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, what age is your dog?
    Have you noticed any pattern before she poops on the carpet, for instance, have you been out longer than usual, or has something changed in her routine?
    I take it she's been reliable up to recently in using her tray?
    I'd strongly suggest not giving out to her, certainly not after she's gone. She won't make the connection between her pooping and your displeasure.
    Indeed, punishing a toiletting act can make it worse.
    She doesn't know she's done wrong either. Dogs don't do right and wrong! However, they do display appeasement signals when their owner gets mad at them, and these signals are often misconstrued by owners as guilt.
    It's not guilt, it's more 'why are you mad at me? Please don't be'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Irishmaster

DBB wrote: »
    OP, what age is your dog?
    Have you noticed any pattern before she poops on the carpet, for instance, have you been out longer than usual, or has something changed in her routine?
    I take it she's been reliable up to recently in using her tray?
    I'd strongly suggest not giving out to her, certainly not after she's gone. She won't make the connection between her pooping and your displeasure.
    Indeed, punishing a toiletting act can make it worse.
    She doesn't know she's done wrong either. Dogs don't do right and wrong! However, they do display appeasement signals when their owner gets mad at them, and these signals are often misconstrued by owners as guilt.
    It's not guilt, it's more 'why are you mad at me? Please don't be'
    Shes almost 6. Well she only poops on the carpet at night when no one is around to see. Yeah she usually jumps into her poop pen to poop! :) Yeah your right, i know she has no clue after it happens generally! My dog is really smart and cunning so even after i think she knows shes done wrong! Im just clueless as it never happens and happend 3 times already in 2-3 weeks. Im gonna have to catch her a night time doing it so i can teach her all over again where to go! Lol! Yeah there must be some routine were missing causing her to do this! Thanks anyway for your advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Would it be possible to put her toilet in the same room as her at night? Or put her in the same room as the toilet?

Clean your carpet with a paste made of biological washing powder or liquid, this'll break down the ammonia in the poo/wee so that your carpet won't smell like a toilet to her.

Yeah i was thinking that, to just leave her locked in the room(at night) so she can get used to doing poops in the toilet again! :) Its like she doing it on purpose to get attention or something but i dont know really! :) Yeah we wipe the carpet down each time with bleach so she doesnt get used to doing it. Its just odd tbh! Ahh, ill sort it out somehow! Like teaching a pup where to piss again! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Op you could put down wooden flooring which would make it easier to clean up after your dog.

Yeah we were planning on changing the flooring to tiles anyway, just hope its not a regular occurence and she uses the toilet thats shes been using for 6 years! Lol! The only way im gonna be able to change whats happening is to catch her at night doing it and then teach her! Its just strange whats happening tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Have you tried crating her at night?

Crating?

OP, can I just clarify with you, your dog is almost 6, and up until the past couple of weeks did not have any accidents?

• Advertisement

OP, can I just clarify with you, your dog is almost 6, and up until the past couple of weeks did not have any accidents?
    Yeah she never did this! And shes done it 3 times in the past 2-3 weeks! Strange thing to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I would be thinking a vet visit just to rule out any underlying medical reason.

Have never heard of someone using a toilet for a dog before (except for housetraining pups), do ye live in an apartment or is there a reason for the toilet? Has anything changed with it recently? Are ye using a different substrate?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Rub it's nose in it a few times OP, that should deter it from doing it repeatedly

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I would be thinking a vet visit just to rule out any underlying medical reason.

Have never heard of someone using a toilet for a dog before (except for housetraining pups), do ye live in an apartment or is there a reason for the toilet? Has anything changed with it recently? Are ye using a different substrate?
    Lol! Its not an actual toilet, its like a large pen with lots of newspaper in it. :) When she does her thing we remove the newspaper and replace with a new one each time! :) Just a normal detached house. Havent really done anything different, dont worry about it, ill sort her out somehow or shell just cop on to do what she normally did. Thanks for all your replys, ill use my doggy brain and figure something out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Ignore Scudzilla comment never rub their nose in it, bad form.

As said maybe it could be a medical reason for it or has she had a change in diet. Do you feed her late, is she let out at night before she goes to bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Most adult dogs should be able to hold it in all night once you feed them in the evening time and they get a chance to poo after feeding. Just wondering how come the toilet pen is actually needed, for pups I can see the reasoning behind it but for an adult dog they have sufficent bladder and bowel control to hold it all night.

A crate is one of these http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/carriers They are very useful for housetraining, dogs usually love them because it's their own little den they can go into for peace and quiet. They also won't soil them as you buy the size that allows your dog to get in and move around but not too big as they won't soil the area they sleep in.

Have you changed the brand of food recently? What time do you feed her at?

Yeah she never did this! And shes done it 3 times in the past 2-3 weeks! Strange thing to happen!

Irishmaster,
    The reason I asked you to clarify this is because if a dog suddenly changes its long-established behaviour, it is almost always because there is an underlying medical reason. She may appear fine, she may not look sick, but dogs tend to be tremendously stoical about pain and discomfort, and it can be difficult to tell if they're not feeling great.
    Obviously, if there is something medically wrong, you are completely wasting your time trying to change her behaviour, because she's not in control of it.
    We could be talking a little intestinal infection, but in fact, even a sore ear, or paw, or other body part, can make a normally housetrained dog go to the toilet in unusual circumstances.
    So I'd strongly advise bringing her to the vet asap.

And to reiterate that what others have said, please ignore that shockingly poor advice to rub her nose in it. I can't believe people are still touting that stuff :-o

Advertisement