Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

help me fix my car!

Options
  • 01-08-2011 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi i dont know whats going on my car makes load noises when it drives (hardly moves) and blue smokes comes out the back. also i looked in the engine and the water has gone a funny colour. whats funny is the water i use to clean the windscreen still cleans it perfectly.

my brakes have also been screeching when i break for the last few weeks but the still worked perfectly.

its a 1998 fiat punto in case anyone saw this before. mechanic just told me he had no interest in fixing it i think he's quite busy.

i live in the dublin 16 area if anyone knows any reliable mechanic. thanks all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Sounds like your head gasket. Your windscreen water has nothing to do with the water for cooling the car btw.

Brake pads are probably worn and the disks are probably scored at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe its time to cut your losses and get a starlet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Sounds like your head gasket. Your windscreen water has nothing to do with the water for cooling the car btw.

Brake pads are probably worn and the disks are probably scored at this stage.

what is the head gasket and how much does it cost. brake pads how much?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Maybe its time to cut your losses and get a starlet

what's a starlet? sounds like expensive work

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

Defo your head gasket and either your pads or disks need changin, could be both at this stage! A starlet is a type of car, also a small cheap to run car like the punto but its reliable unlike a punto. Sell the punto to the scrap man and get a starlet or a golf. Fiats are terrible cars and the money to fix your one is probably more then the cars worth.

• Advertisement

T2daK wrote: »
    what is the head gasket and how much does it cost. brake pads how much?
    You are looking at over 300 euro if not more.Head gasket keeps the oil in the engine seperated from the water for obvious reasons.
    what's a starlet? sounds like expensive work

A Toyota Starlet trouble free car.

DaleB91 wrote: »
    Defo your head gasket and either your pads or disks need changin, could be both at this stage! A starlet is a type of car, also a small cheap to run car like the punto but its reliable unlike a punto. Sell the punto to the scrap man and get a starlet or a golf. Fiats are terrible cars and the money to fix your one is probably more then the cars worth.

no need to be slagging off my car man i've had it for 9 months got it for 900 never had a days problem didn't even have to do nct so cut it out

Head gasket will be around €400 to do, pads about €70 and add a few hundred on if it needs discs.

Basically I'm questioning whether pumping €700 odd into a car that's worthless now and will not be worth the total of the repairs when fixed.

A Head gasket is like the ham in a sandwich where the 2 halves of the engine are the bread.

The engine has all sorts of ducting inside it for water/oil , these all run through the head gasket so when that disintegrates. The water goes in the oil, The oil goes in the water, and the oil and water goes into the cylinders and out the exhaust.

You are looking at over 300 euro if not more.Head gasket keeps the oil in the engine seperated from the water for obvious reasons.

A Toyota Starlet trouble free car.

wow i get the hint my cars a heap of **** wow i bet u have some cool car like a ford or something

Head gasket will be around €400 to do, pads about €70 and add a few hundred on if it needs discs.

Basically I'm questioning whether pumping €700 odd into a car that's worthless now and will not be worth the total of the repairs when fixed.

A Head gasket is like the ham in a sandwich where the 2 halves of the engine are the bread.

The engine has all sorts of ducting inside it for water/oil , these all run through the head gasket so when that disintegrates. The water goes in the oil, The oil goes in the water, and the oil and water goes into the cylinders and out the exhaust.

can i not put in some bread and ham to make sure the ham is def ok? if you get me?

• Advertisement

wow i get the hint my cars a heap of **** wow i bet u have some cool car like a ford or something

Did I say your car was anything.

Did I say your car was anything.

ya u said a starlet was HINT better

can i not put in some bread and ham to make sure the ham is def ok? if you get me?
    The particular ham in your sandwich is renowned for going off in no time.
    Actually getting the ham out and replacing it with a new slice is quite complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Great. Now I'm hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭LCruiser Kid

A toyota starlet is a far more reliable car than a punto. Its a fact of life.
    Anyways, do or did you regularly check the punto for oil and water? Its definately the head gasket that's gone along with your brake pads and I'd say the disks are fairly shot too. Your mechanic probably has no interest in fixing it as he may think that the cost of repairing the car is mabye greater than whats its worth.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

no need to be slagging off my car man i've had it for 9 months got it for 900 never had a days problem didn't even have to do nct so cut it out

You definitely need to chill; people are trying to help.

I wouldn't be putting that much money into that car tbh. Cut your losses.

Owen wrote: »
    Great. Now I'm hungry.

Luckily I have a Pizza on the way....:D

The particular ham in your sandwich is renowned for going off in no time.
    Actually getting the ham out and replacing it with a new slice is quite complicated.

like does the engine have to be totally dismantled? surely that piece of cake to a qualified mechanic?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭LCruiser Kid

Luckily I have a Pizza on the way....:D

Is there any form of ham in it at all :D

A toyota starlet is a far more reliable car than a punto. Its a fact of life.
    Anyways, do or did you regularly check the punto for oil and water? Its definately the head gasket that's gone along with your brake pads and I'd say the disks are fairly shot too. Your mechanic probably has no interest in fixing it as he may think that the cost of repairing the car is mabye greater than whats its worth.

I said id pay him well still said no

• Advertisement

Is there any form of ham in it at all :D

get out of here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

@ OP

either you're taking the pi$$ or you're some kind of idiot.

dump the car, find someone who knows about cars, pay them a few quid, find a car you like with their guidance, get them to check it over, have a decent car

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Infraction given.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement