Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

In need of some advice before test!

Options
  • 01-08-2011 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there I'm new to this board and I'm having some major issues with my driving test. I'm on my 4th attempt and my tests have come in yearly cycles. I take lessons and book a test, normally before I'm ready because I run out of money, fail, then have to wait another year to get the money for another test, so I've been stuck in the vicious cycle for about 5 or 6 years now. I have a test coming up next week and I just need some help with some general driving issues.

1)What is the deal with box junctions?? When should I go in and when should I stay out? I've waited before and people have come from the left and piled up in the box and I've been left not being able to move for ages, or I'll go into to the junction because my exit looks clear but its not and I've been stuck there too.
    2)How can I guess what people are going to do on roundabouts when they don't indicate? I'm not a mind reader, and I've been failed for undue hesitation before because of this. I've tried to judge by position but I failed my second test when I pulled out to take the first exit when this guy was on the inside indicating right, he then cut across three lanes of traffic and cut across me to the left (while still indicating right!) causing me to brake harshly, resulting in a fail.
    3)I also don't really understand where to position on roundabouts very well :(
    4)I have real issues with confidence and nerves, I MUST pass this test because I will run out of money again if I fail and end up spending £100's more all over again. Does anyone have any advice on controlling nerves? I can't control the clutch on tests because my legs twitch so much.

I know there was much more i wanted to ask but I've forgotten :(

I'm just stressing out so much, if anyone could give any advice, i'd appreciate it soooooo much.

Laura

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Do you take many lessons before the test? I did my test 4 times and each time only had a couple of lessons beforehand.

I passed in March this year and I had taken 6 lessons and had a pre test before my test. If you have a good instructor they should be able to help you with all the questions you have. Make sure you read the RSA Rules of the Road book too, it makes everything really clear and you'd be surprised how much you remember during the questions part of the test. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sineadsss

when is your test? i passed mine on thursday 1st time where abouts in ireland are you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

LauraMay89 wrote: »
    1)What is the deal with box junctions?? When should I go in and when should I stay out?

Do not go into the box unless you can get out the other side.
    An exception would be when you are turning right - get into the box and turn as soon as you can safely. If the lights change to red while you are in the box, turn right and get out of it.
    2)How can I guess what people are going to do on roundabouts when they don't indicate?

Don't trust anyone on roundabouts, regardless of whether they indicate or not. Wait til the split second you can see them turn and you are sure they are leaving at the exit before you.
    3)I also don't really understand where to position on roundabouts very well

Watch the signs and road markings as you approach. They often give information.
    If you are going left (first exit) or straight on, be in the left lane (unless road markings say otherwise).
    If you are going right, or any exit after the one straight ahead, be in the right lane (unless road markings say otherwise).

Tbh your ADI should have covered that with you.
    4)I have real issues with confidence and nerves

Practice, practice, practice.

Drive as you normally drive and don't build it up to being the end of the world if you fail. It's not, so try again (and again if needs be).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Spurious is right about not trusting indicators - ideally everybody would indicate, but you shouldn't actually use an indicator to tell you when to go. Just because somebody has their left indicator on does not mean that they will be taking the next exit.
    This video explains better than I can how to know when to go and when not to go - but it is something that will come with plenty of practice.

As for the positions of the roundabout, you should know this already (and you probably do, you're just nervous!). If there's any exit between 7 and 1 o clock (roughly any exit not past 'straight on') then use the left lane, any subsequent exit use the right lane (including if you are coming back the way you came).
    This only applies in the absence of any road markings/signs that tell you to do otherwise.

3 lane roundabouts generally have markings. There's a few I've come across that have no markings whatsoever which are difficult, so ask your instructor if there are any in your area.

Best of luck! To be honest, it sounds like you don't have enough experience or practice. If you just practice, things like yellow boxes and judging roundabout gaps will come naturally!

Advertisement