Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inchicore works?

Options
  • 31-07-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has pictures from around the Inchicore works?

there is some great views of the place on bing maps, id love to have a snoop around with my camera there :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

A few here from the 2009 Family Fun Day. I've seen a few more of this event on flickr. Under normal circumstances IÉ prohibit visitors from publishing photos, hence why it's hard to find any modern shots on the web.

I've plenty but unfortunately can't post them in a public forum as you're made sign a declaration upon entry that you will not do so. I've been there three times, twice on official visits and once on a not so public visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

A YouTube video here from a 1958 Open Day, when there was still something worth seeing. I used be a regular visitor there in the 1980/90s but wouldn't be bothered these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Parts of it will be knocked down soon to make way for the tunnel.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Parts of it will be knocked down soon to make way for the tunnel.

Assuming it even goes ahead... there's talk that it mightn't.

• Advertisement

Its going ahead alright. Surveyers were going around there a few weeks ago.

It won't be going ahead - there's nothing in the kitty for grandiose nonsense like DART Underground. Anyone who remembers FG in the past knows that they wouldn't spend Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It won't be going ahead - there's nothing in the kitty for grandiose nonsense like DART Underground. Anyone who remembers FG in the past knows that they wouldn't spend Christmas.
    They wont go ahead with it but have obviously forgotton to let the surveyors know this? or maybe they are contracted to do the work and have the usual state contracts that are watertight in favour of the contractors so they will still be paid even if the job is cancelled?

I don't think the presence of surveyors means anything really, Varadkar hasn't made any official announcement, until then the thing's in limbo. There's motorway projects that have gone to contract but still require formal approval. I won't believe anything until the machines start boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its going ahead alright. Surveyers were going around there a few weeks ago.
    Are you sure that wasn't for KRP2?

• Advertisement

You know that to be 100% true do you or are you just assuming it wont go ahead?

Victor wrote: »
    Are you sure that wasn't for KRP2?

Yes, it will cut the works in half and cause a lot of disruption to the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Yes, it will cut the works in half and cause a lot of disruption to the works.

There has been a lot of test drilling around the city in the last year as part of the advanced prepatory work for the scheme. There has also been tendering for servicing of diesel locos in anticipation of the loss of the maintainance role of the running shed while many Inchicore drivers home depots have been moved down to Heuston; all small things but early changes nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Drimnagh Road

Niles wrote: »
    Under normal circumstances IÉ prohibit visitors from publishing photos.

For fear of exposing the waste of 20 year old mk3s and 15 year old 201s on the scrap heap?

Wouldn't say so, the rule was there long before the 201/mkIII storage issue came up (in any case they are as clear as day to anyone passing by on a train, not exactly out of public view). Prohibition of photography is not unheard of in industrial premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Niles wrote: »
    Wouldn't say so, the rule was there long before the 201/mkIII storage issue came up (in any case they are as clear as day to anyone passing by on a train, not exactly out of public view). Prohibition of photography is not unheard of in industrial premises.

Most deffo so, any site ive been on across europe had a total ban of photography.

Pembroke Power station, Biggest offshore wind farm in the world and Tiger project/Frankfurt Main extention.

If you got caught taking pictures you were off the job.

Thats not to say we didnt take pictures but it wasnt exactly taking pictures if stuff to send on to rival projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Your not missing much in Inchicore these days anyway, most of the interesting rolling stock is gone, no more A's, B113 is in whitehead only historical thing left is 6111 which needs securing asap. RPSI have there 2 sets for now there and thats it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Delighted that this forum is up and running as it is an area very close to my heart. My grandfather and his daddy before him and so on were all train drivers. I was at one of the open days a few years ago and was fortunate enough to meet one of the people who was coal boy (?) for my grandfather when he was younger. I would be curious if anyone else has relatives who worked there in the 20's-60's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

fireman I assume....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Delighted that this forum is up and running as it is an area very close to my heart. My grandfather and his daddy before him and so on were all train drivers. I was at one of the open days a few years ago and was fortunate enough to meet one of the people who was coal boy (?) for my grandfather when he was younger. I would be curious if anyone else has relatives who worked there in the 20's-60's?

There is an older 'Inchicore Works' thread on C&T, one of the posts contains this link to a wealth of interesting information about the works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

There is an older 'Inchicore Works' thread on C&T, one of the posts contains this link to a wealth of interesting information about the works.
    Thank you so much - I told my daddy about the video on this thread and we will be showing it to him. I have always been proud of my heritage - we have a young son who loves trains and the fact that his greatgrandfather was a steam train driver will be great for him when he is older. I know that a lof of the workers from there used to live in Inchicore (as did my daddy's family).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Cathy, there was an excellect book written about Inchicore called "The Works". It's out of print but the odd sceond hand copy floats around; PM me and I'll see if I can get one for you.

Another couple of shots from the man who never finished anything - and probably never will now. :D

raildribble007.jpg

Inchicore Works on the 25th July 1992 and a very hairy JD winches to safety 'his' pride and joy, Deutz G601. How it survived on the scrapbank for so long having been officially stopped on the 22/7/1972 - just over 20 years previously - is anyone's guess.

raildribble006.jpg

Inchicore Works on the 13th June 1996 and G601, by now the property of the Irish Traction Group, makes a splendid sight at the Inchicore Works "150" Open Day.

Sadly since then G601 has suffered at the hands of the village idiots while stored at the ITG's Carrick-on-Suir base, but she is now secure and a new engine has been found for her. So, who knows but this unlikely survivor from CIE's failed branchline experiments may yet see service again but this time at Downpatrick far from her old stomping ground on the Banteer/Newmarket branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ardkillbeg

My uncle was a stoker (5 or so year apprentice I believe) then driver for over 30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

For fear of exposing the waste of 20 year old mk3s and 15 year old 201s on the scrap heap?

and now 14 year old railcars and 12 year old darts?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Maybe they're stockpiling rolling stock for some great rail revolution when trains will once again travel to almost every small town round the country ... Question is what'll they travel on ..... Low loaders ? :)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Sadly since then G601 has suffered at the hands of the village idiots

This is true, anything the ITG get their mitts on tends to suffer alright :D

Advertisement