Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Carp

Options
  • 31-07-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying carp for pond. (large pond, maybe 80x60 feet between 5 and 6 foot deep) Just wondering about the procedures involved, including sourcing, cost and success rate (whether is is worth it or not) etc.

Thanks in advance for your help. I hope this is the right forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

You would be surprised what your local fish shop can order in.
    You could also try any of the coarse angling clubs. They can advise you where
    to purchase the fish.

It is carp and Koi carp you are looking for.

PS. Sturgeons are stunning fish. Plenty of them in the shops at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Thanks for your reply. I'm not really sure as to whether I want Koi carp or carp. Is there any great difference?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Gumbi wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not really sure as to whether I want Koi carp or carp. Is there any great difference?

Price and appearance..ordinary mirror,leather or grass carp are quite ugly fish,they're usually kept for angling purposes because they can grow quite large.

Koi are pretty much kept only for show and as such are much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Boardwalk pets in Dublin had carp recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Most if not all pet shops will sell them. Getting quality stock is the key.

There was a guy selling Koi on www.irishfishforum.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement