Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Church" Bar/restaurant on Mary St

Options
  • 31-07-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Was in town today with my wife and 6 month old son. After an afternoon shopping we decide to go to the aforementioned eatery for some dinner at 5:10, only to be rudely halted at the door, and informed that my son ( who was asleep in his car seat) was not permitted on the premises after 5pm.

Personally I will never set foot in the place again, as we were treated quite rudely, but I find it bewildering that in the midst of such a recession, such an establishment would refuse a couple who would have put €70 in their till, because they have a baby with them

Anyone considering going to the Church on Mary St for some food, if you have a child orbaby with you I would recommend go somewhere else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

why not contact them directly ?

http://www.facebook.com/thechurch.ie?sk=wall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

why not contact them directly ?

http://www.facebook.com/thechurch.ie?sk=wall

or go onto Trip Adviser. if you are looking for a nice cosy family friendly restaurant then you have no place being in Church. it seems to be more yuppie and touristy. a northside venue with southside prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Yup. No atmosphere in that place, but can be okay if you get there when it's quiet and there's no music on.

Interesting to note that they have a no kids after 5 rule. This would probably encourage me to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Always found the prices good in this place, but three of us dropped in for some food one Wednesday and was refused entry for wearing runners!! Evidently the bouncers thought it was a Saturday night in 1994. Ended meeting another bunch out and about and went to Koh, between us, food, cocktails and vino we built up a bill of about €550 euro and left a €60 tip, learnt about a cocktail deal going on a week later and all met up and did the same again.

Whose loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DES440

Who said anything about looking for a "nice Cosy family restaurant". Myself and my wife decided to grab a bite before leaving town. We happened to have a 6 monthold baby asleep in a car seat. Think it's a bit ridiculous that they refused to serve us (food I hasten to add, not drink) as we had a 6 monthold sleeping baby with us

Have posted on tripadvisor already, and contacted the pub to complain, though if a business treats it's customers like that I won't be expecting them to respond

• Advertisement

DES440 wrote: »
    Myself and my wife decided to grab a bite before leaving town. We happened to have a 6 monthold baby asleep in a car seat

Perfect pre 21.00 customer! You won't get pissed, you will pay, you will leave early! The Church management need to cop on, most other pubs that offer food like that are very child friendly till 21.00 and rightly so, pubs are evolving.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

im very fond of this pub and can appreciate not allowing children after 5 but they shouldnt have been rude to you, i've personally find the atmosphere great friendly, relaxed and mature crowd and have never had any problems with the staff and i've gotten in in runners aswell

Rachiee wrote: »
    im very fond of this pub and can appreciate not allowing children after 5 but they shouldnt have been rude to you, i've personally find the atmosphere great friendly, relaxed and mature crowd and have never had any problems with the staff

I actually like the place too, but I obviously won't be going back... I see what you are saying about the kids, but a 6 month old baby isn't really going to make an impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I actually like the place too, but I obviously won't be going back... I see what you are saying about the kids, but a 6 month old baby isn't really going to make an impact.

Except when the baby wakes up and starts crying. I think I read some article someone posted here or somewhere else about restaurants/hotels/etc having a no child under 6 rule so that their patrons can enjoy their stay and relax without having children screaming all the time. If that rule was in church, I'd probably go more often... They didn't need to be rude, though! Was it posted anywhere? I've been there plenty of times but have never seen that written anywhere, but then again I've never really seen children there.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Obviously don't need business?!
    This place is a rip off anyway, only really for tourists. great surroundings, but surly staff and no atmosphere with very overpriced food.

On the baby thing, surely they could have used discretion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

A friend recommended that place to me. I rang up to enquire did they cater for coeliacs - gluten free, and the girl just laughed and said "a what".

I posted this experience to menupages who they seem to advertise with, but the review was rejected as I had not been there!

Needless to say, they lost a booking for 8 people.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

that no children rule would definately make me go back.

more pubs should have those kinds of rules

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

They have a no buggies rule to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ever see tourists walk about Dublin, asking if there's a pub which will allow them bring children in - being told 'sorry, no can do' and the look of complete rejection and frustration at us?.

This countries a kip for tourists and pubs refusing to allow children in is just another small nail in our coffin.

Believe it or not tourists are actually attracted to Ireland thinking that they'll find a nice quaint little Irish pub with nice food, good beer and 'craic.

Even some of the restaurants & cafe's in Dublin are reluctant to allow children on the premises.

As for The Church, nice place but the surly staff mean's I give it a wide berth now - defo one to avoid IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

ryoishin wrote: »
    They have a no buggies rule to.

Must remember that the next time I bring a buggy in to town without a baby. if they don't allow children why allow buggies?

Personnally thats strange, they wouldn't allow you, it was still early so shouldn't be a problem. Either way there was no reason for the staff to be rude about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Except when the baby wakes up and starts crying.

When my kids were 6 months old, believe it or not, they didn't actually cry from the time that they woke to the time they slept. And if they did, I'd take them outside.

And these places then go and bellyache about reduced footfall.

I drink there after work occasionally - not by choice - and it's just another overpriced yuppie warehouse albeit a nice building. You're not missing much, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

stovelid wrote: »
    When my kids were 6 months old, believe it or not, they didn't actually cry from the time that they woke to the time they slept. And if they did, I'd take them outside.

And these places then go and bellyache about reduced footfall.

I drink there after work occasionally - not by choice - and it's just another overpriced yuppie warehouse albeit a nice building. You're not missing much, OP.
    I agree, the novelty wears off quickly and it's really only worth going there on a nice day if you can get a seat outside.

Food is totally crap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Food is totally crap too.

I was going to say that, but then thought I'd be in a minority of one and probably just being a ratty ol' whore.

But I agree, the food ain't great at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I was going to say that, but then thought I'd be in a minority of one and probably just being a ratty ol' whore.

But I agree, the food ain't great at all.
    They used to have a pretty good fish and chips, but I think it's a new chef or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,283 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why is it so hard to understand that the majority of people in any bar do not want kids of any age to be in there? Most of us do not want your little snowflakes in the bloody bar, its that simple.

The bar obviously has a policy and you are moaning because they stuck to it. Well, knock yourself out I suppose. Write a letter even, see if that works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Don't have kids myself, but have almost no problem with kids in pubs. The only problems that do happen with kids is almost always their parents fault when they let them trash the place. Like an instance not so long ago in our local, some kids were decorating the walls and floors with any type of food they had and their parents turned to us to address our angry looks and said when you have kids you'll understand. The parents in our group kinda let rip and the scumbags thankfully didn't hang around.

The odd bit of crying or running around is small beer and pretty easy to handle.

OP should have gone to the Market Bar, very kids friendly during the day and a good atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Why is it so hard to understand that the majority of people in any bar do not want kids of any age to be in there? Most of us do not want your little snowflakes in the bloody bar, its that simple.

You just show yourself with this, to be honest.

Most times you have a kid in the place, nobody would know unless they are the sort of people violently react to the mere sight of kids which is not surprising.If the kids acts up, remove them.

Don't let kids on the premises after a reasonable time, say 7 or 8 to allow families (tourist or local) to get some food before the heavy drinking starts.

Bars have a variety of clientèle and that's that. I myself would love my eating and drinking space to be clear of jackass adults that bay their heads off, can't hold their drink and generally act the cunt, but I deal with that and don't ask for them all to be banned.
    tricky D wrote: »
    Don't have kids myself, but have almost no problem with kids in pubs. The only problems that do happen with kids is almost always their parents fault when they let them trash the place.

The 6-month olds are the worst. Keith Moon hotel room stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

The bar obviously has a policy and you are moaning because they stuck to it. Well, knock yourself out I suppose. Write a letter even, see if that works.
    They don't advertise their policy so the op can be excused for trying to eat there. Personally I find people pisssed and talking shiite in pubs more annoying than a sleeping 6 month old baby.
    Not my kind of place now that I've read that, we will attract less family tourists with this sort of policy.

Advertisement