Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get a dual stat in sligo

Options
  • 31-07-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

i need to get my hands on a dual stat for a central heating system.
    the current one has melted due to a problem with the ofch unit over heating.
    the ofch unit has now been repaired but the dual stat controler needs to be replaced. the one that is on it now is an I-stat dual 60-90 deg.
    is there anywhere in sligo like a heat merchants that might have one. thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Any Heatmerchants, this is the item that PREVENTS boiler overheating, so how is the problem solved?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

DGOBS wrote: »
    Any Heatmerchants, this is the item that PREVENTS boiler overheating, so how is the problem solved?

the stat is still working, but the plastic casing is melted and the sheeth over the wire to the probes has come away in parts. replacing it is more preventative then anything else.

If the casing is melting something is wrong, if it's the stat, do not use the appliance, if not, there is a flue gas leak or something close to the stat, it should not melt!

You did say in original post it HAS BEEN repaired, what has been?

i think the original stat failed, this did some damage to the unit. the stat was then replaced but the unit was still running non efficiently and upon inspection some of the internals were damaged, which has since been replaced.
    as the stat is still working it was not replaced but i think its only a matter of time before it fails, also it looks to me like the original stat is a slightly differant type to the one that was retro fitted. i think ill give the lads in heat merchants a call when i get back to dublin and see if i can get the original dual stat.

An 'imit' dual stat will be fine as long as the capillaries fit into the tube for them (some older ones have a narrow neck and need replacing, so a drain down or a soaking would be required)

It's still an unusual situation you describe, as the name implies 'dual stat' it's 2 in one, a boiler stat that controls boiler water temperature (as you said new imits ar 60-90 deg range) and an overheat stat that is there to protect the system if either the boiler stat fails or let's say the circ pump fails, it protects the appliance and house/holder from damage or possibly explosion by locking out the boiler (that requires a manual stat reset) at appox. 108 degs.

So the meltdown should not have occurred, what did your repairman say about it? Don't get me wrong here, it's your safety I am concerned with, I'm not trying to be smart with you.

• Advertisement

by tube, do you mean where the temp probes are housed. in this unit there is a small appature where the stat is mounted and i presume the boiler stat and the high limit stat are housed in the same place. currently the dual stat is mounted on the side cover with the two temp probes fixed in place inside this appature.
    i did not speak to the last guy that replaced the damaged parts. tbh im unsure what he replaced, he did however show my folks and they were in no doubt that what was damaged did need to be replaced.
    the unit is a warmflow 50/90 ofch unit which is mounted on the exterior of the house.

Yes, that opening for the stats is as you say.

Just seems strange what your describing has happened, and the route cause.

im not too well up on those units but the wiring of the stat should be easy enough. i was just goin to put the two new probes into that appature and keep them in place with a bit of fireseal/putty.
    i asked my folks and it seems he replaced the baffles ? and another component that was damaged by the heat, that and a plastic cover on what the manual calls the rdb burner.
    do both the boiler stat and the high limit stat control the same circut in the event the temp is reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Warmflow use their own "Dual Immersion Thermostat" and it's likely any other "stats" will not fit their phial pocket, take the old stat shopping with you or try getting in touch with Warnflow, but they are one of the boiler manufactureres who are now getting particular about supplying parts to anyone other than Oftec registered Technicians.

Omits fit warm flow boilers as a replacement stat on any I have done, don't us putty to hold in place, use the fixing screws provided!

• Advertisement
Advertisement