Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All things being equal who is fastest

Options
  • 31-07-2011 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

darced wrote: »

I'd go with that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Schumacher

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭4ndroid

Hamilton Alonso and Kubica then Vettel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel. Honorable mention to Kamui Kobayashi, though he's more of a lunatic than a speed king!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

alonso,vettel,hamilton,rosberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

fastest or best, two different things arent they?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

I still say the most rounded driver out there is Alonso. But very closley followed by Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

In my opinion, Alonso is the best driver in Formula 1. Vettel may the fastest over a single lap but Alonso is the best overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

There's no such thing as all things being equal unfortunately. If the cars suited Schumacher (like the early 2000s) he'd run rings around everyone. Hamilton would be able to get more out of a car that didn't suit him than someone like Button or even Vettel.

Just look at how small changes affect different drivers. Webber can't keep up this year because of the new tyres. Massa was kicking Raikkonen's arse at the start of '09 because of KERS. When Fisichella got into a car with KERS he was what, 3 or 4 seconds off Raikkonen for the first race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

The Bercy kart races are coming back this year I believe, albeit with obese electric karts. Pretty good at levelling the field. If you are wondering what the hell I'm talking about, here's a video....

Schumacher did OK at the SKUSA Supernats race in '09 for an auld fella. He still has the pace. Finished 7th overall beating Piquet Jr and Buemi.
    I think on pure pace, Alonso might have Hamilton covered. So hard to tell to be honest because the car plays a huge part in this. Hard to tell to a point that it becomes an almost pointless discussion..

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

Nico Rosberg is one of the fastest drivers. He always gets the most out of his car and he has always showed up his team mates. I think when Rosberg gets in a race winning car he will deliver his full potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

All things being equal?

well in the Top Gear F1 star in the reasonably price car Vettel was the fastest, beating Hamilton and others, :pac: so i would say

all things being equal Vettel is the fastest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    How is changing weather conditions being equal?
    Yep, Button did it twice, once on a very hot day, the other in the wet. His wet time was quicker, and just a few hundreths off Hamiltons.
    Hard to say who's best. I'd give a punt for Loeb, I know he's not in F1, but he did a stint in a Red Bull during a practice session, and was something like 7th fastest on the day. That was during a winter practice, not some random publicity day.
    Kubica I reckon is in the top 3 or 4. Vettel could be much better than some people think in a different car where he needs to push, a lot seem to think he'd fall to pieces but I don't think so. It took Hamilton a while in a crap McLaren before he started pushing it.
    It also should be remembered that Hamilton had the best car on the grid for at least a season and a half and didn't manage what Vettel has done with what was the best car on the grid, and now is getting caught up.

Hope to god kubica makes it back. Hes a class driver

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Somebody give Kobayashi a top car and let's see his true potential!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm worrying about him the last little while, he needs to get out of Sauber before he ends up like a Fisichella or Trulli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    How is changing weather conditions being equal?

well that is a variable that cannot ever be equal... my point was when the variable is the car, in the same car on the same track vettel was fastest.

weather can change within a lap or even on a section of the track, so to get equal weather conditions you would need both drivers driving on the same spot at the same time which as far as i know is impossible to do?

Edit: just clicked an indoor track may be a solution!!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

i would have to say kubica, vettel, hamilton, alonso, when its who is fastest i.e. who could get the fastest laps with no traffic. hamilton and vettel would swap places in my mind if it was who is the best racer and the smartest most tactical would be Button in my opinion

• Advertisement

Who does not deserve an f1 spot or who is the least skilled driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I think qualifying is a good indicator, ignoring of course, the fact that the car plays as big a part as the driver.

2011 so far for that P1 hotlap: Vettle, Webber, Alonso, Hamilton, Button, Massa.

f1fanatic.co.uk - 2011 qualifying

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

All things equal I'd say Alonso then Vettle (little between them) then Hamilton,
    There are some awesome drivers at the moment, I'd love to see what Kobayashi can do

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

Fastest over a single lap...... I'd say its between Haminton and Vetell, then Alonso but you are talking about very small margins.

For a race I have no doubt its Alonso, Vetell, Haminton. Haminton just makes too many mistakes. If anything, it is making more mistakes to more experience he gets !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

darced wrote: »

Personally I'd say Sebastian Vettel. I believe he is a good pilot and can make it to the top like Senna or Schumacher. However, prone to mistakes under pressure. (Example: Canadian GP 2011)
    amacachi wrote: »
    There's no such thing as all things being equal unfortunately. If the cars suited Schumacher (like the early 2000s) he'd run rings around everyone. Hamilton would be able to get more out of a car that didn't suit him than someone like Button or even Vettel.

I remember some commentator in the 2002 season making the following remark:
    You could put all 22 drivers in the same car painted white, matching overalls and helmets coloured white, you could easily pick out Michael Schumacher and Jenson Button. Schumacher for his attacking style and Button for his smoothness.

^^ +1. Kobayashi can be a bit reckless on occasion, but I do believe that he'd be a good competitor in a better car.

Final thought: It's interesting to see Schumacher and Vettel racing for team Germany in the race of champions. They have competed together since 2007 and have won all 4.

Advertisement