Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange fish/parasite

Options
  • 31-07-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I was housesitting recently and I found what appeared to be a tadpole like creature in the toilet bowl. It was swimming around and had to be about 2cm long. I was wondering what exactly it was as I was more than a little frightened by it. Has anyone ever come across anything like this?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Did you take pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭nyarlthotepful

Unfortunately not. I was so freaked out by it that I almost immediately flushed the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

omg! you killed a rare mutant spermatozoa that was in someone elses toilet!....
    me shudders to think what could have placed it there:-p:P:P:P

GHOST MGG2 wrote: »
    omg! you killed a rare mutant spermatozoa that was in someone elses toilet!....
    me shudders to think what could have placed it there:-p:P:P:P

Ha. I did think that while I was looking at it. It was so strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Someone reported something similar last year, and the consensus was it was a rat-tailed maggot (aka a hoverfly larva).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68022867

• Advertisement

darjeeling wrote: »
    Someone reported something similar last year, and the consensus was it was a rat-tailed maggot (aka a hoverfly larva).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68022867

It could have been that but it was somewhat browner looking. Either way, I don't envy the people who own the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

It could have been that but it was somewhat browner looking. Either way, I don't envy the people who own the house.

Maybe someone "took a dump" on it..........this is getting gross!:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

"They obtain air by extending their snorkel like tail breathing tubes to reach the water surface.breaking it with feathery hairs which emerge from the tube"

Even maggots can't breathe in a toilet that filthy!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

I was housesitting recently and I found what appeared to be a tadpole like creature in the toilet bowl. It was swimming around and had to be about 2cm long. I was wondering what exactly it was as I was more than a little frightened by it. Has anyone ever come across anything like this?

Maybe it was a tadpole!

My parents occasionally find bemused frogs in the loo! We reckon they must get in via the septic tank. Did the house have a septic tank?

Advertisement