Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any decent 2-3% beer in Dublin pubs?

Options
  • 31-07-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Rough as a badger today after another Saturday night on the sauce.
    The local golf club has a "mid-strength" (if you'll allow me to use that term) Carlsberg, which i have never drank as i hate Carlsberg itself and imagine it could only be worse. Is there anything available in Dublin pubs around the 2% area as regards beer?. I'm looking for more than the tasteless non-alcoholic Becks-type drink (don't want to be stone cold sober listening to the rubbish any mates come out with!), but less than a regular beer. Willing to compromise on taste to see how i feel after a few pints of it the following day. My normal drinks would be Heineken on tap, also like some of the English ales, used to drink Guinness, i'd go back to it but find it too heavy. Is Guinness mid-strengh widely available in town?
    thanks for any tips
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There's nothing that low. Guinness Mid-Strength is 2.8% ABV and not very common. Then there's Porterhouse TSB at 3.7% (Temple Bar and Nassau Street branches), Smithwick's at 3.8% and Buckley's at 3.9% (Bull & Castle and Ryan's of Parkgate Street).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

A sensible alternative would be to have 1 or 2 drinks normal strength beers then drink tap water or soft drinks, I find the lashing back drinks to keep up with your mates very immature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

A sensible alternative would be to have 1 or 2 drinks normal strength beers then drink tap water or soft drinks, I find the lashing back drinks to keep up with your mates very immature.
    Nothing says 'real man' like folding to drinking peer pressure... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

BeerNut wrote: »
    There's nothing that low. Guinness Mid-Strength is 2.8% ABV and not very common. Then there's Porterhouse TSB at 3.7% (Temple Bar and Nassau Street branches), Smithwick's at 3.8% and Buckley's at 3.9% (Bull & Castle and Ryan's of Parkgate Street).

Thanks BeerNut, i tried Smithwick's a couple of weeks ago for the first time, was quite watery and tasteless but if there is less alcohol i'd consider it. I usually drink about 5 pints on a night out, but occasionally up to 7 or so if its a big one. 5 is enough to give me a bad hangover though. God, ten years ago as a student it would be much more and i'd be grand the next day..
    I value my teeth so i'll give the soft drinks a miss Technocentral, a Saturday night out drinking water sounds like great fun by the way. My question was purely about low alcohol drinks, not the immaturity of binge drinking. Thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

My question was purely about low alcohol drinks, not the immaturity of binge drinking. Thanks anyway.
    You could also try making your third pint a pint of water. That means you'll avoid dehydration and you'll be taking in less alcohol. If your 'friends' give you grief tell them to f*ck off. You can still buy your round as usual.

• Advertisement

You could also try making your third pint a pint of water. That means you'll avoid dehydration and you'll be taking in less alcohol. If your 'friends' give you grief tell them to f*ck off. You can still buy your round as usual.

I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of what i drink. Perhaps you have taken my opening post up wrong, i meant listening to whatever rubbish friends come out with in general after a few drinks..footy/relationships/whatever, not that i would be getting abuse for drinking water or soft drinks, i would not be getting any abuse from anyone. I could sit there drinking green tea and no one would bat an eyelid.
    I enjoy a few pints, just not the hangovers, hence why i was asking about something with less alcohol. I do try and drink some water between pints to reduce dehydration, i even drink a dioralyte when i get in which helps too. Obviously if i didn't go out at all i would have no hangover to deal with, but then life would be quite dull wouldn't it..?

BeerNut wrote: »

BeerNut, is Smithwick's 3.8% on tap or bottled?. There seems to be widely quoted figures online as regards alcohol content, typically 4.5% is mentioned, but i have also seen 3.8% - maybe one is an export or something?. There doesn't appear to be anything on the Smithwick's website. Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BeerNut, is Smithwick's 3.8% on tap or bottled?.
    Both.
    There seems to be widely quoted figures online as regards alcohol content, typically 4.5% is mentioned,
    Check the nationality of the website: Smithwick's is stronger in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Do people still drink shandies?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've a few customers at work who drink every pint with a glass of water. If it's your gold club you drink in normally they'd probably buy in a crate of lower strength stuff if you asked. Would be a good way for golf clubs to attract business into their pub too given that most people have to drive home after a round of golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I value my teeth so i'll give the soft drinks a miss Technocentral, a Saturday night out drinking water sounds like great fun by the way.
    Nobody said to just drink water...
    i would not be getting any abuse from anyone. I could sit there drinking green tea and no one would bat an eyelid
    You are lucky so, if this is the case then you could just get half pints, and a glass of water with each one. Its the same as getting a half strength pint, but a lot cheaper and probably nicer as you will have more selection. Soft drinks cost a fortune in pubs.

I know quite a few lads who would never dare order a half pint out of fear of being slagged. They like to keep up in rounds (I hate round culture) and if they are getting too drunk they "switch to bottles", paying over the odds for less beer -bit stupid really just to be macho, something in their head says a bottle is OK, but a half pint is not :confused:. I know a few guys who even will refuse to drink glasses of coke in pubs, if they are driving they will get 2 bottles and drink from a pint glass :rolleyes:

Half pints are far cheaper than bottles too.

I remember a lad in work ordered a bottle of carlsberg on a work night, it was not out in bottles at the time and I am guessing he wanted less drink. The barmaid brought him a half pint and he was disgusted, poured it into a pint glass ruining the carbonation just so he would not be seen with a glass...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Erdinger and Paulaner both do alcohol free weissbiers that are pretty tasty and are pretty widely available. You could try alternating with those to lower the overall alcohol intake. Personally once I've had a beer or two I really get a taste for it and water or soft drinks just wouldn't do, these hit the spot well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Non-alcoholic Beck's is reasonably widely available too, I think, for interspersing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I know a few people who have a pint of water for every 1 to 2 pints of beer. Works well for them.

You could just slow down either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jjanderton

My question was purely about low alcohol drinks, not the immaturity of binge drinking. Thanks anyway.

According to my view you should go with the Becks Premier Light , Heineken Oud Bruin, Lingens Blond, Amstel Oud Bruin.

All these beers have not 3.5 ABV and these are also very tasteful in their taste. And if you want know more than let me know... :D

Regards J:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

jjanderton wrote: »
    According to my view you should go with the Becks Premier Light , Heineken Oud Bruin, Lingens Blond, Amstel Oud Bruin.

All these beers have not 3.5 ABV and these are also very tasteful in their taste. And if you want know more than let me know... :D

Regards J:)

Yes, but the "available in Dublin pubs" bit might catch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

Sounds to me like someone cant hold his liquor!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Are you sure your posting in the right Forum :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I can go out and have 2 or 10 pints depending on how I feel, but if I didnt want a hangover I'd have 2 or 3, its just common sense really, when your balls drop some day hopefully you'll understand.

Advertisement