Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

control problems

Options
  • 31-07-2011 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

hi
    i was just wondering if anyone knew an answer to this problem.i have this 8 yr old cob who has a problem with acting up when around other horses. i some times go out with my friend who has a big and fast hunter and when we trot his just leaves mine behind. really the faster she goes the more excited mine gets as he's not able to keep up and he starts to try and take off and i only end stopping to try and calm and getting further away. i know calming isn't the right thing to do because hes an ignorant and arrogant type but im not very confident in myself even though i've been riding for over 6 years.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

Horses are herd animals, and they are also prey/flight animals. It's natural instinct for them to be with other horses, and natural for them to want to run when other horses are running. They do NOT want to be left behind-they still have the instinct that tells them the one that gets left behind gets eaten by the lion!

Your best bet is to get into natural horsemanship. It will teach you how to become the "herd leader", to where your horse will want to be with YOU, rather than feeling the need to chase after other horses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

If you're out for a hack with your friend, they shouldn't really be riding off so far in front so as to leave your horse behind. If their horse trots that fast, they should try to regulate the pace to suit your horse.

As mentioned above, horses are herd animals and do not like being left behind, whether out riding in company or even being left in the stable while their stable mate goes away. While out riding in company, there are things you can do to try and help your horse settle down while being left behind, but you don't necessarily need to go down the natural horsemanship road.

When I was trying to settle young horses when they were parting company from other horses, I found riding them in the opposite direction really helped. Ok, most of the time I would have actually been going in the opposite direction (i.e. I was going home and they were continuing on), but after a minute or 2 the horses settled down and were content being on their own (obviously I was working on settling them by talking to and reassuring them). Very quickly they got to the stage where I can leave another horse go off in front of them and they'll just continue on normally. They also stay calm when passing loose horses, a number of whom will canter up and down along the hedge or fence, in a field next the road.

I would start with asking your friend to slow down their horse, or even just go for walks together, and then start walking in the opposite direction, or get your friend to leave the arena where you're riding together, just to get your horse used to leaving his pal. Then you can move on to teaching him to be 'left behind'!

Advertisement