Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Grand Prix

Options
  • 31-07-2011 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

Anyone think Ireland could have a GP...Mondello maybe? Just a thought...I'm sure it would be a money spinner although im sure there is a ridic amount of reasons why not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

street circuit around finglas would be better.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When Ireland has 50 million people and discovers oil it'll happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

No. It'd be cheaper to go to Monaco anyway if there were. Couple the costs of attending with the inevitable mess that'd be made of arrangements/seating/location etc, its best if Ireland stays well away from anything that requires forward planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

EnterNow wrote: »
    No. It'd be cheaper to go to Monaco anyway if there were. Couple the costs of attending with the inevitable mess that'd be made of arrangements/seating/location etc, its best if Ireland stays well away from anything that requires forward planning.

Well said, We would surely mess it up, We could get Father Neil Horan to help organise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Watch some videos of BOSS cars going around Mondello and you'll see why. Sure you could spend money fixing it, but it might be cheaper to start from scratch somewhere else! At the end of the day Ecclestone decides where the F1 circus goes, and there is no reason for him to run a GP in Ireland whatsoever.

Pretty sure it would be a loss leader, rather than a money spinner. I'd wager that putting it on TV over here is risky, let alone hosting a race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Get a few priests and a bishop to support it. It'll happen then.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Apart from the facts that we have no circuit capable of hosting an F 1 race and no street circuit suitable (without massive costs/improvements) we also have no people capable of hosting such an event. Our domestic circuit racing scene is , without taking away from the people who compete/enjoy it , is just domestic. While I enjoy F 1 , I think it would be immature to even consider that we could receive or host an F1 event.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I seem to remember a couple of kites being flown by tame Sunday journos during the boom times. Debt-fuelled developer hubris and the like.

All absolute nonsense, of course, even at the time. Like that idea for Europe's largest theme park north of Dublin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There was a plan floated years ago (probably 10+) to use Casement Aerodrome in Baldonnel to host an F1 grand prix, don't know if it was ever very serious.

There was also a plan to hold an A1GP street race around the docklands which would have been fantastic, my office had a great view over the proposed circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

stevenmu wrote: »
    There was also a plan to hold an A1GP street race around the docklands which would have been fantastic, my office had a great view over the proposed circuit.

A proposed circuit was released at some point? Got a pic or link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

There used to be an Irish Grand Prix before or after WW2. (I think before). It was held two or three times and I remember reading about it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

There used to be an Irish Grand Prix before or after WW2. (I think before). It was held two or thre times and I remember reading about it years ago.

Yep 1951 AFAIK in the Phoenix park I read about it in a book several years ago

There still is an Irish Grand Prix , Dan Daly won the last Irish Grand Prix which was ran at the last running of "The Park" last year or the year before. There is a difference between a Grand Prix and a Formula 1 race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

se conman wrote: »
    There still is an Irish Grand Prix , Dan Daly won the last Irish Grand Prix which was ran at the last running of "The Park" last year or the year before. There is a difference between a Grand Prix and a Formula 1 race.

There was no such thing as F1 back then it was just GP's, this was on the run up to the inception of the championship as we know it.

Not splitting hairs re; Irish Grand Prix , just stating a fact , am interested to know what you find a joke about having a class for cars that some would otherwise just stay locked up in sheds.

It is different from any other class because there is such a vast array of cars but like any other class there are often several "races" with-in the race. I am a big fan of getting the big guns out and I took it a little to heart when you called it a joke (way too protective of my fav class)

LOL , I'd say the brother is one of the guy's you are talking about , lovely car , terrible finishing record. Hopefully have her sorted before the end of the year or else for a full assult next year. While I think it is right that the Libre's race for the Grand Prix , I think the best decission was to award The Leinster Trophy to the Vee's.

Advertisement