Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ageing/maturing beer?

Options
  • 30-07-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi, are there any rules for determining if a beer will be fast or slow maturing? e.g. if its got high/low IBUs, loads of late hop additions or high/low alcohol? The reason I'm asking is that I bottled my Big Chief Amarillo(simplified recipe with just crystal malt but same hop schedule as http://community.beoir.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=469 )
    I tasted it about a week ago and it was VERY hoppy. nearly perfume like. I'm guessign it just needs to mellow over time but I'm just wondering how long(ish) and can I predict from recipes if a beer is going to be ready early or later?

Thanks

L

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Short answer: no. If you want fresh hop flavours drink young; most any other beer, I've found, will get better with age.

Zythophile has this, but I don't fully believe it.

Advertisement