Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Book Club AUGUST Fantasy Book Voting

Options
  • 30-07-2011 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

I've taken nominations from the previous thread and collected them here. Sorry for closing the deadline by 2 hours- I honestly left it as late as I could. The poll is set to close 2 days after posting.

I'm hoping that I'll be back when that happens, but I may not be. Either way I'll check in on my mobile. In the event of a tie-breaker I'll pick the book (if people want a fairer process we can do that for next month!). If there's a clear-cut winner, that's our book for August :)

I'd advise you to be careful reading about books, particularly on Wikipedia, so that you don't spoil the plot for yourself. Amazon is actually quite good for looking at reviews, although obviously these can be flawed. And of course check the previous thread, asking questions about books if people have read them :)

Which book would you like to vote for reading in August? 11 votes

"Echoes of the Great Song" by David Gemmel
    0% 0 votes
    "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman
    0% 0 votes
    "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom
    9% 1 vote
    "The Time Traveller's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger
    18% 2 votes
    "The Eeyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde
    9% 1 vote
    "The Once and Future King" by TH White
    27% 3 votes
    "War for the Oaks" by Emma Bull
    36% 4 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I've actually decided to backtrack on my Gemmel suggestion, I voted for Once and Future King just so you all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

This is exciting. I feel like I'm at he races and have money on a horse!:D

yes, i lead a sad life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

A nice big range to choose from :) I may wiki some of these and see which one appeals to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I didn't get a chance to vote for this. :( I would've gone for The Eyre Affair and totally skewered the voting, so perhaps it's best I didn't. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Slow Show wrote: »
    I didn't get a chance to vote for this. :( I would've gone for The Eyre Affair and totally skewered the voting, so perhaps it's best I didn't. :pac:

Same here. I didn't really get time to check out those books over the weekend. I finally got a chance to look them up today and I was going to vote for The Eyre Affair too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I'm really sorry, I put it up for as long as I could :( And I wanted to send out PMs to everybody to encourage voting but I was called away when I put the poll up, I've barely been at home. The nice thing about that book though is that it could fit another genre, such as crime fiction? I know it's something I'll try to read after Jane Eyre soon. Not Eeyre...

Our book for August is "The Once and Future King" by TH (Terence Hadbury) White then! :) I'm checking my library for a copy. If I come across any reasonable deals online I'll lob them up.

It's on Amazon here. here. The ISBN on Wikipedia for the paperback is 0441003834.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Cheapest version I can find on the book depository, here.

Hey, this is the story of King Arthur? :confused: I already know most of the story from other books (a lot of books like to do a modern take on it) but hopefully the original might be interesting. Just going to burn all these 'Eeyre Affair' badges and t-shirts I just made >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Ordered from TBD just now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Slow Show wrote: »
    Cheapest version I can find on the book depository, here.

Hey, this is the story of King Arthur? :confused: I already know most of the story from other books (a lot of books like to do a modern take on it) but hopefully the original might be interesting. Just going to burn all these 'Eeyre Affair' badges and t-shirts I just made >.>

Ah don't ... we'll give it another outing down the line.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Ah don't ... we'll give it another outing down the line.

I really hope so.

My local library didn't have a copy of our book :( Ordering it tomorrow hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I like this idea. Might not be able to get around to this month's read but I should be able to have a bash at whatever next month's is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Hey, how exactly will the discussion go? Will there be another thread set up specifically for this month's book? Will people be expected to comment randomly as they're reading, or wait til the end? Will Kilkenny beat Waterford on Sunday? So many questions, so little time!!:D

Einhard wrote: »
    Hey, how exactly will the discussion go? Will there be another thread set up specifically for this month's book? Will people be expected to comment randomly as they're reading, or wait til the end? Will Kilkenny beat Waterford on Sunday? So many questions, so little time!!:D

We'll set up a specific thread. Discuss it how you want to discuss it :) People could talk about it as they go through it or at the very end- just make decent use of spoiler tags! Have enough people got the book to set a thread up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I just got a copy of it today and I've read a few pages so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Got it this morning & so far it's like reading a Monty Python script ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

I have it ordered from book depository, probably take another week to get here.

Advertisement