Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correct heel height for jodhpur boots

Options
  • 30-07-2011 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, have just started taking riding lessons (am a total beginner) and am going to buy boots soon, jodhpur ones i think. Am just wondering what the recommended heel height is? I was looking at some with heel of just 1/2 inch. Would this be suitable for a learner like me?
    Thanks in advance... A.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Are you buying proper boots from a tackshop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 akun

Yes, the saddlery/riding store I looked in only had one pair of jodphur boots in my size - but with a low heel, 1/2 inch. Really am just wondering if they are appropriate for me. Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Did the staff in the shop give you any advice re. the heel? Are there any other tackshops around you that you could call into and see what the staff say?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Low heel would be best, in case of dragging. Never saw big heels on real jod boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

No tack shop worth its salt should sell you anything for riding but the correctly manufactured riding boots. Be it jod boots, long boots, synthetic or leather, once they are a known brand they should be fine. With regard to price you can pay anything from 30 euro to hundrends so there should be something for everyone.

I wouldnt worry too much about the heal depth but as an example I measured three different brands here:

Mountain Horse Stable Jod (most expensive & Leather)
    18mm and this is their boot with the Impact Protection system

Brogini (leather a second most expensive)
    15mm, no IPS or other features

Horze (synthetic and the cheapest)
    10mm in the centre flairing out to 15mm at the edges

So that was the first time I ever measured heels. Interesting all the same. It seems by that small selection the more expensive the boot the deeper the heel. Its also worth noting that the deeper the heel to a certain degree it could be plausible to say you may get longer out of the boot. Saying that you'd have three Horze boots to one Mountain horse. Hard to know. Might have to set up an experiment, may take years though!!!

Regards,

Eoghan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 akun

Thanks a lot for the replies (u r a mine of info!). I will go to tack shop again tomorrow and have another look.

Advertisement