Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese lanterns at the beach house

Options
  • 30-07-2011 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I see that there was a Chinese lanterns lighting at the beach house in relation to the American Roots festival. With the amount of bad press about these recently as they can be extremely harmful to cattle, livestock and a huge fire risk, should this have been allowed to proceed? Remember that there are still a lot of farms in the area, and these lanterns can travel for miles before coming down, not only onto fields but also onto houses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Is this the start of another slagging of a local councilor thread?

As far as i know there isnt a fire risk, the lanterns only cone down when the flame has gone out.
    They can be harmful to cattle when say a cow chokes on the wire if they try and eat one, i think this is a very rare occurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Chinese Lanterns
    pixbyjohn wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Jimjay wrote: »

As far as i know there isnt a fire risk, the lanterns only cone down when the flame has gone out.
    They can be harmful to cattle when say a cow chokes on the wire if they try and eat one, i think this is a very rare occurance.

They have caused fires in the UK and also facial disfigurement of a child. The British farmers union and several fire authorities there have called several times for them to be banned

http://www.blackpoolcitizen.co.uk/news/9169526.Call_for_ban_on_Chinese_lanterns_in_Lancashire/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/8628686/Latest-fire-caused-by-Chinese-sky-lanterns-increases-calls-for-a-ban.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/agriculture/farming/7127935/Farmers-call-for-ban-on-Chinese-lanterns.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jan/23/chinese-lanterns-call-to-ban

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1327957/Mother-calls-Chinese-lantern-ban-son-scalded-molten-wax.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

They have caused fires in the UK and also facial disfigurement of a child. The British farmers union and several fire authorities there have called several times for them to be banned

Yeh, yeh, yeh. God save us from those who want to save us from ourselves. What a sterile world we would live in if they had their way. Wouldn't call that "living".

darter wrote: »
    Yeh, yeh, yeh. God save us from those who want to save us from ourselves. What a sterile world we would live in if they had their way. Wouldn't call that "living".

Like that child? or the families whose houses burnt down?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Like that child? or the families whose houses burnt down?

As I said, god help us from those who wish to protect us from ourselves...

If you're so damn interested about the fate of one child, why not look at the real world and be worried about the MILLIONS of children who are dying of hunger and malnutrition - a "problem" that is entirely 100% treatable by big agriculture.

Chinese lanterns - give me a break! Get off your high horse before you fall off and hurt yourself... then ban horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Ban them I say, designed to look pretty for a few minutes and then become litter forever.
    This country is dirty enough already.

If you're so damn interested about the fate of one child, why not look at the real world and be worried about the MILLIONS of children who are dying of hunger and malnutrition - a "problem" that is entirely 100% treatable by big agriculture.

Chinese lanterns - give me a break! Get off your high horse before you fall off and hurt yourself... then ban horses.

I never actually categorically stated I wanted them banned - I was pointing out the problems - perhaps your knickers need untwisting

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

I recently made a hundred euro donation to UNICEF's emergency appeal for East Africa (everyone should do what they can do for that, by the way ,, it's serious, and horrendous,and people are dying).I do what I can. I contribute significant sums regularly to stop children dying of hunger and malnutrition

Having said all that, am I now allowed to say that I think Chinese lanterns should be banned ? They're dangerous, they've damaged a child, they're a fad that needs to be abolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

on a related note - does anyone know if the air/sea rescue demo went ahead in the end?

we went down at 3 as advertised but by 4 the helicopter hadn't shown up (doing something more important elsewhere?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

loyatemu wrote: »
    on a related note - does anyone know if the air/sea rescue demo went ahead in the end?

we went down at 3 as advertised but by 4 the helicopter hadn't shown up (doing something more important elsewhere?)

No it didn't go ahead. The helicopter was called out on a mission and didn't get to Greystones for the exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

I take offence... These should be called non ethnic combustible heat oriented flotation celebrations per EU rules :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    No it didn't go ahead. The helicopter was called out on a mission and didn't get to Greystones for the exercise.

I saw a coast guard helicopter out over Bray beach at about 3.30 or thereabouts.

I take offence... These should be called non ethnic combustible heat oriented flotation celebrations per EU rules :)

which EU rules?

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

noital wrote: »
    I see that there was a Chinese lanterns lighting at the beach house in relation to the American Roots festival. With the amount of bad press about these recently as they can be extremely harmful to cattle, livestock and a huge fire risk, should this have been allowed to proceed? Remember that there are still a lot of farms in the area, and these lanterns can travel for miles before coming down, not only onto fields but also onto houses.

It's a sad world we live in when Chinese lanterns are the only thing yous have to moan about....

I say ban toasters, botox, chip pans, Christmas tree lights , base balls bats..... All these can start a fire or dis-figure you...!

It's not Chinese lanterns that needs setting alight and letting go...!!

Besides, the wind was coming from the SW, which would mean they would have blown out to sea...

Maybe it'll be on this months Crime call....??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Besides, the wind was coming from the SW, which would mean they would have blown out to sea...

Oh well, thats all right then.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 noital

Jimjay wrote: »

Not a pop at all about the Councillors.

Just thought it was a bad thing to promote/have on as they can be quite dangerous. Thats all!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

somebody just design one that after an hour of looking pretty simply burns itself up, leaving nothing but "healthy*" ash to fertilise the soils it falls onto.

you'd make billions.

*I'll leave you to decide and patent healthy in this context

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

On the cover of this week's Bray People there is an article about some idiots using a green laser to distract the Coast Guard helicopter last Wednesday night while on a mission at Bray Head. Its been mentioned before but I can imagine chinese lanterns being equally confusing and distracting for a pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hous

what idiot uses lasers to distract pilots during rescues or exercises...madness

in relation to lanterns, ive been reading about the problems they cause...its a shame because they look great...maybe someone will invent a totally safe and degradeable one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think the point is that any fire hazards/ injuries aren't to the people who light them, but to people who have no involvement. So not really "save us from ourselves" but instead "save us from other ignorant people who don't take responsibility for their actions".

Advertisement