Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White screen & logo on start up

Options
  • 30-07-2011 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

My MacBook Pro displays a white screen with Apple Logo and the "I'm doing something wheel" upon startup with audio. Almost reminds me of a Windows Start Up!

Unit is brand new Intel chop machine running OS X v10.6.8

Not a big issue but would like to get it back to the way it was.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

It should be light grey:
    osxgrayboot.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Possible hard drive issue. Boot from the install disc and open Disk Utility in the Utilities menu. Then try repairing the hard disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muggyog

...or startup in single user mode ( 'apple' and 'S' keys depressed on p/up). Then type sbin/fsck -f at the command prompt and see if it repairs anything. Type logout or exit to enter to GUI. If you startup in single user mode you can also see what the "I'm doing something wheel" is actually doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Thanks.

Yes, the screen colour is more grey than an intense white. The audio sounds like a clipped "bong"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Are you saying it goes no further than that then ? :confused:

Ken

• Advertisement

no, boots up as it should do.

So where is the problem? Is it just taking too long to startup?

Macs have always had a startup sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I have one of those :)

Ken

I have 6 ( going to start my own museum! ) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

I switched on my mac book pro and im getting that screen:( Powers off 5 seconds later..My battery is definately charged i presume i will have to get it fixed not sure on the warranty either:confused:

• Advertisement

I thought that Macs had almost zero boot up time and went straight into action. Mine did initially. Grey screen appears, plays the truncated chime and takes 15-20 sec to boot up.

Advertisement