Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water hammer: help needed

Options
  • 30-07-2011 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭

A mate is living in a three storey house which when built had a bedroom in the atttic so I dont think he has cold storage tanks up there but most likely an all in one tank like you see in new apts located on the first floor ,there is also a pump(most likely a neg head)

House was built approx 3yrs ago and nothing has been changed/installed since then but in the last couple of weeks it would apprear he is getting "water hammer". What would change to cause this?

I have asked him to try and keep a record of when/where he hears it, ie: if he is using a certain tap/toilet etc.

Anyone have a similar problem recently and if so did they manage to slove it. Looking for ideas before we go digging, I have read about installing a water hammer damper device/doing things with inlet floats to stop ripples/ changing taps.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 p.d

could simply be the council have incresed the pressure in the area,just get a water hammer sock arresrtor (any decent plumbing merchant should have one should roughly be E20) may need a plumber to install it on the mains piping if you dont know how to install it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jon11

After upgrading my bathroom and installing a B and Q dual flush toilet, water hammer occured just after the cistern finished filling. This was explained to me as the new cistern is a sudden stop once filled, where as the old ball cock shut off the water slowely.

Lightly pushing on the float in the cistern reproduced the sound over and over.

The plumber found all the pipes under the floorboards were not tied in but after securing some of these the probem persisted.

The solution was changing out the fill valve in the cistern to a "Fluidmaster" PRO400UK fill valve with plastic shank.
    On the box it says "preferred by professional plumbers" and "Minimal water hammer":)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

jon11 wrote: »
    The plumber found all the pipes under the floorboards were not tied in but after securing some of these the probem persisted.

Securing pipes treats the symptoms, not the cause. Good you got sorted though.

Advertisement