Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How "locked down" are locked Android phones.

Options
  • 30-07-2011 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭

Hey there, going to be getting an Android phone soon, was hoping to look at developing some apps for it and stuff.

When I buy an Android phone and it's locked to a network, does this simply mean I can't use another network's sim cards, or would it also prevent me from loading my own custom apps, purchasing/installing those not in an approved Android store, stuff like that.

I'm assuming I can still do this stuff, just want to be sure.
    If I can do this stuff without having to root/unlock the phone it'd be great, as I'm paranoid about the warranty and stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

To side load non market apps its as simple as an Unknown Sources checkbox in the settings menu

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kierancos

Yep Mega Chin is right all you have to do is check a box. Anyway rooting is nearly as simple! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I don't think the real Android phones (Nexus) are locked, and will always have the latest version, free of any distracting manufacturer add-ons.

Advertisement