Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single serving bottles of wine - worse hangover?

Options
  • 29-07-2011 9:22pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was drinking wine in the pub last night. Now, in fairness I had a few, but today I was DYING. I'm well used to drinking wine, and shouldn't have been that unwell. But I mentioned it in work and a guy who works with me said that his friend, who's the VP of a wine distributor or something in the States, said that the single serving bottles of wine are absolute shyte. He claims they put all sorts of piss into them, that wouldn't be in full-size bottles, and as a result, they give you killer hangovers. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that, or if it's just nonsense?
    Post edited by irish_goat on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Often heard it was because of the preservatives,but don't know how true it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Those bottles are not exactly quality wine are they? A lot of the wine sold in pubs is actually supplied free by the big name distributors as a bonus for regular and large orders. It's muck. Small bottles tend to have the same amount of sulfites as 75cl ones so they're doubly concentrated too, sulfites cause hangovers to a lot of people.
    If you're going to drink a few glasses of wine in a pub it might be an idea to bring a good bottle with you, agree a corkage and drink that. If the pub has an off licence attached it's all the easier.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    If you're going to drink a few glasses of wine in a pub it might be an idea to bring a good bottle with you
    Or give your business to a place that serves what you want to drink. Good wine pubs aren't as rare as they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

One point is that it's not a great quality wine but the other is that it can be harder to tell exactly how much you've drank.

E.g. you might be used to drinking one bottle of wine at home and stop after that but in the pub you'll have 6 small bottles so it now becomes having a bottle and a half which you're not used to.

matrim wrote: »
    ... you might be used to drinking one bottle of wine at home and stop after that but in the pub you'll have 6 small bottles so it now becomes having a bottle and a half which you're not used to.

True, but if it's good quality wine even one and a half bottles won't have you "dying" the next morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

the worst hangovers I had were from those small botttles, I never ever drink wine from pubs anymore. I got to know my wines in the past few years and can only say they are ****E those bottles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Not sure if I believe these stories about preservatives and chemicals. If people drink these small bottles in the pub, they're probably not eating a meal. If people drink a 750ml bottle of wine, it's often drunk with a meal so people may be jumping to conclusions about the hangover effect of the small bottles. Why would a 187ml screw-top bottle of Wolf Blass contain different liquid than the 750ml screw-top bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Not sure if I believe these stories about preservatives and chemicals.

I'd be slow to give credence to this too. The way I understand it, you need to be allergic to sulphites to be affected. The wine might have been sitting on the shelf for ages in light and/or heat getting skunky, however.

What kind of wine was it, OP? Had you had that brand before in bigger bottles?

Not sure if I believe these stories about preservatives and chemicals.
    You're a commercial wine makers dream.
    Most factory wines do contain chemicals to dissolve natural sediments. They don't contain preservatives as wine is a very natural drink (if left alone) and the issue of sulfites is usually over stated as most people don't suffer from their presence but if they do it's worth noting that most small bottles have concentrated levels of sulfites. Sulfites are perfectly natural too btw, it's a growth on the grape that nature provides to keep them fresh and tasty!

You're a commercial wine makers dream.

Really? I don't drink the small bottles. Are quality wines made by non-commercial winemakers ?
    Most factory wines do contain chemicals to dissolve natural sediments.

Ok, but what does that have to do with the size of the packaging ?

• Advertisement

Really? I don't drink the small bottles. Are quality wines made by non-commercial winemakers ?
    Are you just being pedantic? By commercial wines I mean factory produced where bottle #1 is the same as bottle #1,000,000 and "process" is everything. See the shelves of supermarkets, petrol stations and convenience stores for examples.
    Ok, but what does that have to do with the size of the packaging ?
    Nothing. It was in answer to your comment "Not sure if I believe these stories about preservatives and chemicals"

Generally speaking quality wine growers don't produce wine in small bottles and generally speaking those that do don't find their way into a local Irish pub.

Nothing. It was in answer to your comment "Not sure if I believe these stories about preservatives and chemicals"

So back to the point of the whole thread, you are agreeing that the single serve bottle size does not contain different liquid than the full size bottle of the same wine.

...you are agreeing that the single serve bottle size does not contain different liquid than the full size bottle of the same wine.
    Are you having a little troll for yourself there?

I'm not agreeing to that at all. Smaller bottles are generally poorer quality wine than the 75cl bottles and rarely the same label. You mentioned the brand "Wolf Blass" - do they even make smaller bottles? I doubt it. If they do then... as I said in my first post in response to the OP, "Small bottles tend to have the same amount of sulfites as 75cl ones so they're doubly concentrated "

I'm not going to continue to repeat the point. If you don't get it you'll just have to re-read.

Smaller bottles are generally poorer quality wine than the 75cl bottles and rarely the same label. You mentioned the brand "Wolf Blass" - do they even make smaller bottles? I doubt it.

Yes, they do. Wolf blass is one of the most common brands found in small bottles in pubs. I don't know if you'd call it a quality wine and I don't care for it myself but it seems to be at the premium end of the mass-produced wines.
    If they do then... as I said in my first post in response to the OP, "Small bottles tend to have the same amount of sulfites as 75cl ones so they're doubly concentrated "

And you also said that sulfites make no difference to most people, so the size of the bottle does not influence the hangover.
    I'm not going to continue to repeat the point. If you don't get it you'll just have to re-read.

Your point doesn't stack up so repeat it all you want.

And you also said that sulfites make no difference to most people, so the size of the bottle does not influence the hangover.

No, in my first post I said "sulfites cause hangovers to a lot of people." I'm finished here, I've responded to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I'd agree that the small bottles affect me way more than 'good' wine... the only other wine that gives me a headache is cheap chilean wine. No idea why, I always just assumed it was the preservatives since wine doesn't keep as well in small quantities so they must add more preservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 desk1

Were you drinking red or white wine? Red wines and dark alcoholic drinks have more congeners (google for the science bit) and can be responsible for headaches along with alcohol which is dehydrating you. If you want to test this theory drink a bottle, or less, of 'nice' red wine and then have a few pints of guinness:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cax1

So let me get this straight. People are saying here so that the smaller, single serving bottle of wine contains some additives that the same wine in a larger bottle doesn’t have?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Zombie thread. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement