Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scenic Train Trips

Options
  • 29-07-2011 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

Harmonstown to Bray

As well as being a busy commuter route, the coastal line to Bray offers passengers some stunning scenery. Today there was the added bonus of a '071' on a ballast train passing through Harmonstown just as I arrived on the platform.

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10199

The DART arrived and we were off, heading towards Connolly.

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10205

Passing the Custom House and over Butt Bridge !

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10206

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10210

Reaching Dun Laoire - view of the harbour and the Irish Lights building !

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10208

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10209

Next up Killiney Bay ! At this point my thoughts turned to William Dargan the engineer who built this line to Bray !

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10207

Next into Bray, departing the Dart and stopping to have a look at the murals on the wall at the station.

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10201

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10202

The DART and some more of the station !

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10200

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10204

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10203

And to round this post off, Bray Head and Esplanade Hotel !!! :D

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10211

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10212

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Some great shots there of a wonderful line, good man.

Some years ago my aunt and I got a cab ride from Howth to Raheny on the DART after name dropping my Dad to the driver and felt happy with our lot for the day. We continued onto Bray for the spin and as the DART pulled into Lansdowne Road, the cab door opened and the new driver ordered us in to grab the run from there to Bray!!! It was some treat at the best of times but to see Killiney Bay from a cab on a sunny afternoon, it's one of the best scenes in Ireland, never mind Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's a great run out from Connolly to Greystones alright if you ignore the defacement by graffiti of every lineside feature, public park, martello tower, school etc. The approach into Dun Laoghaire station is particular bad and apart from graffiti, IE seem to regard the area as a dumping ground for spoil, old signalling equipment etc. I find the journey north of Greystones singularly depressing and try to bury my head in a book - it was not always thus. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I like the section north of Greystones, though as JudgementDay points out a clean-up in places wouldn't go amiss. However, I have to say my favourite section of all is Greystones-Wicklow, something nice about looking out at the sea as the train races along the beach. The scenery is probably one of the few things that can lure me away from the bus when travelling to Dublin these days.

Nice photos there!

While I have been on Rosslare trains I've never been on a DART south of Bray. *makes mental note*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Some great shots there of a wonderful line, good man.

Some years ago my aunt and I got a cab ride from Howth to Raheny on the DART after name dropping my Dad to the driver and felt happy with our lot for the day. We continued onto Bray for the spin and as the DART pulled into Lansdowne Road, the cab door opened and the new driver ordered us in to grab the run from there to Bray!!! It was some treat at the best of times but to see Killiney Bay from a cab on a sunny afternoon, it's one of the best scenes in Ireland, never mind Dublin.

That section of the line by Killiney Bay where the track runs at the cliff edge really has got the Wow factor. The second last time I travelled it, some weeks back, the sun was splitting the skies, there were quite a few tourists on the DART and you could see their reaction as train passed that point. I think that section of line, and on down to Greystones is acknowledged as being amongst the most scenic of all the coastal rail routes on these islands. And lucky you getting in the cab. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭airsofter.adam

it really is a route that you'd want your camera! :)

It's a great run out from Connolly to Greystones alright if you ignore the defacement by graffiti of every lineside feature, public park, martello tower, school etc. The approach into Dun Laoghaire station is particular bad and apart from graffiti, IE seem to regard the area as a dumping ground for spoil, old signalling equipment etc. I find the journey north of Greystones singularly depressing and try to bury my head in a book - it was not always thus. :(

Some poor sod has had the side wall of his brick built house graffitied just past Sandymount Station in the city direction. But it seems a world wide problem - art my ar$e !!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

That section of the line by Killiney Bay where the track runs at the cliff edge really has got the Wow factor. The second last time I travelled it, some weeks back, the sun was splitting the skies, there were quite a few tourists on the DART and you could see their reaction as train passed that point. I think that section of line, and on down to Greystones is acknowledged as being amongst the most scenic of all the coastal rail routes on these islands. And lucky you getting in the cab. ;)

Lucky ain't the word, man! :p

The famous GSR poster of Killiney Bay from yet another of my partially completed blogs: http://sunnysoutheast.wordpress.com/

gsr-poster2.jpg

GSR poster of Killiney Bay in the 1930's - often compared with the Bay of Naples - even the graffiti artists can't wreck this view.

Karsini wrote: »
    Nice photos there!

While I have been on Rosslare trains I've never been on a DART south of Bray. *makes mental note*

I have the same confession to make, but I have been South of Bray many times on other trains, last time with the RPSI. Now that's an experience! :D Each time we passed through the tunnels the smoke and smuts flushed through the carriages. I was breathing it in - marvellous aroma - couldn't get enough of it - Good old No 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Karsini wrote: »
    Nice photos there!

Neither have I strangely. Done plenty of times by diesel, steam too, but never by DART.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

even the graffiti artists can't wreck this view.

:D:D:D

168968.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Speaking of scenic train trips

Enjoy the hour long trip down on the Flåm Railway Line

A micro scenic trip - well at the end anyway !!! Howth Junction to Howth.

Just before arrival at Howth Station (also along the way) there is a lot of 'art work' to be viewed - I've selected 3 pieces:rolleyes:

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10486
    exhibit 1
    picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10487
    exhibit 2
    picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10485
    exhibit 3

Anyway no more of that - here's a pic of the trusty DART that brought me there and a few shots of the Victorian canopy over the platform - note the brickwork of the station wall - something useful and a true work of art! :D

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10480
    picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10481
    picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10484

Howth station building exterior - the pictures are taken from the old Hill of Howth tram alignment across the road. The station also houses a restaurant btw.

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10482
    picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10483

And finally some well known views around Howth :D

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10491
    The promenade viewed from the East Pier

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10489
    Lighthouse at the end of the East Pier

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10488
    Part view of Ireland's Eye

A short scenic train / walking trip !

The Bray / Greystones railway line is considered to be one of the most spectacularly located in Europe. Designed by I K Brunel and built by William Dargan, it runs through a series of tunnels hewn out of largely granite rock.

There are four main tunnels, No 1 / Brabazon, No 2 / Brandy Hole, No 3 / Cable Rock and No 4 / Long Tunnel.

The Cliff Walk from Bray to Greystones or vica-versa, provides a panoramic view of large portions of the line and tunnels and takes about two hours to complete.

picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11978
    The Northern portal of No 1 Tunnel / Brabazon, part of the old alignment to the now defunct portal can be seen to the left.

picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11977
    Short tunnel to the left of No1 Tunnel portal !

picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11970
    The Southern portal of No1 tunnel showing the old Brabazon Tunnel to the right.

picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11971

picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11972
    No 1 Tunnel fading into the distance - one of the stone beaches at the Brandy Hole in the foreground !

picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11973
    Southbound DART just approaching the No 2 / Brandy Hole Tunnel.

picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11974

picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11975
    No 2 Tunnel / Brandy Hole - North portal

picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11969
    Short man made tunnel just south of the No 2 Tunnel portal.

picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11968
    DART exiting No 3 Tunnel / Cable Rock

picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11979
    Northern portal No 3 / Cable Rock Tunnel

picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11966
    Tunnel No 4 / Long tunnel ventilation shaft ???????? not 100 % sure though !!!
    picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11965
    View of Bray Head from the footpath and adjacent to No 4 tunnel !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are actually 7 tunnels, although only 4 of them are numbered.

Short tunnel
    No. 1 Brabazon
    No. 2 Brandy Hole
    Cut and cover tunnel
    Cut and cover tunnel
    No. 3 Cable Rock
    No. 4 Long Tunnel

Numbers 1, 2 and 4 are replacements on new alignments due to erosion of the coast in the originals and poor construction.
    picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11969
    Short man made tunnel just south of the No 2 Tunnel portal.
    There are actually two of these 'cut and cover' tunnels. http://binged.it/wwyU49 They were built to prevent falling rocks ending up on the train / tracks and to support the cliff face above.
    picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11966
    Tunnel No 4 / Long tunnel ventilation shaft ???????? not 100 % sure though !!!

There appears to be something marked here: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,728418,714858,7,3 but it isn't named. It is almost exactly halfway along the tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

How economical is it to keep the Bray-Greystones open and to DART standard? It looks very expensive to maintain such an exposed and difficult to access railway. Does the passenger demand really justify it?

You mean a bit like that stretch between Killiney and Dalkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You mean a bit like that stretch between Killiney and Dalkey.
    Two much shorter tunnels in a much less exposed position, on a much busier railway?

http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=115&n=126
    Infrastructure

The maintenance and renewal of the track, structures and buildings of Iarnród Éireann is the responsibility of the Chief Civil Engineer. It is their job to maintain the following;

2400 km of Track
    5100+ Bridges
    1240 Level crossings
    147 Open Stations
    4900+ Cutting and Embankments
    372 Platforms
    14 Tunnels

Cork 1
    Heuston-Cabra (Dublin) 3
    Glasnevin (1 triple, Dublin) 1
    Blackrock (Dublin) 1
    Dalkey (Dublin) 2
    Enniscorthy (Wexford) 1
    Ferrycarrig (Wexford) 1
    Bray (Wicklow) 7
    Rathdrum (Wicklow) 1
    Total 18

I hope I'm not missing any, but which ones aren't being maintained? ;)

Note some tunnel-like structures, e.g. under the N25 at Dunkettle will be maintained by others. http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,573023,572706,7,3

Victor wrote: »
    There are actually 7 tunnels, although only 4 of them are numbered.

Short tunnel
    No. 1 Brabazon
    No. 2 Brandy Hole
    Cut and cover tunnel
    Cut and cover tunnel
    No. 3 Cable Rock
    No. 4 Long Tunnel

Numbers 1, 2 and 4 are replacements on new alignments due to erosion of the coast in the originals and poor construction.

There are actually two of these 'cut and cover' tunnels. http://binged.it/wwyU49 They was built to prevent falling rocks ending up on the train / tracks and to support the cliff face above.

There appears to be something marked here: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,728418,714858,7,3 but it isn't named. It is almost exactly halfway along hte tunnel.

Yep, that is it ok and again here: http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=53.168797,-6.079173&hl=en&ll=53.168701,-6.078604&spn=0.002553,0.004495&num=1&t=k&z=17

Re:- the cut and cover tunnels - from the photo it appears that a bridge carries the track to the tunnel portal. Must try to search out a pic from the sea side.

Thanks for that expanded tunnel info. The smaller tunnels tend to confuse the issue, especially as the first tunnel from the Bray direction is not the No1 tunnel. However, the main tunnels do have numbers on the portals.

• Advertisement

Victor - I was only pointing out that in terms of nightmare maintenance, Killiney/Dalkey has many of the same problems as Bray/Greystones. It doesn't matter how many people use either line - one major landslip could potentially close either of them permanently.

Advertisement