Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doggy Dental

Options
  • 29-07-2011 7:15pm

Does anyone know how much it costs to have the following dental work done:

Tooth removed & Teeth cleaned

?

I gave my dog dental sticks every day but one tooth is loose and tartar is building up so they arent much good! im now brushing his teeth everyday and adding plaque off to his food and his teeth are much cleaner and breath is fresh! Its also supposed to improve their health due as the bacteria on gums in both humans and doggies is linked to heart & other problems!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

It varies from practice to practice so best thing to do is ring around and ask. I would expect around €100 give or take a bit. It's worth it though, especially so if you keep up the brushing and the plaque off afterwards as it'd be unlikely you'd need to have it done again.

The bacteria is also linked with kidney problems. And with loose teeth if it's causing pain it's very uncomfortable for them, a lot of the time they are very down on themselves and eat a lot less, usually what most people first notice is that their dog/cat is losing weight and not eating then when you look in their mouth they have some loose or rotten teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Does anyone know how much it costs to have the following dental work done:

Tooth removed & Teeth cleaned

My dog gets his teeth cleaned for €100 in my local vet. He's a medium sized dog. I think the cost depends on the size of the dog and the amount of local anesthetic needed.

paultf wrote: »
    My dog gets his teeth cleaned for €100 in my local vet. He's a medium sized dog. I think the cost depends on the size of the dog and the amount of local anesthetic needed.[/FONT]

Pedantic I know but they don't use any local anaesthetic. Dogs are always fully knocked out for a dental, otherwise nurses would have no fingers left! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Pedantic I know but they don't use any local anaesthetic. Dogs are always fully knocked out for a dental, otherwise nurses would have no fingers left! :D

My mistake/typo - you're are right - they get knocked out.

One of my dogs seems to get a bad dose of plaque every year. He got his teeth cleaned at the start of the year and after a couple of months they are no better off. Despite the fact he eats kibble!

I don't think its good idea for a dog to go under a full anesthetic unless it's really necessary.

Dentastix only gives him the runs. I don't want to give him bones. So I wonder if 'Plaque Off' mentioned in another thread is any good?

paultf wrote: »
    My mistake/typo - you're are right - they get knocked out.

One of my dogs seems to get a bad dose of plaque every year. He got his teeth cleaned at the start of the year and after a couple of months they are no better off. Despite the fact he eats kibble!

I don't think its good idea for a dog to go under a full anesthetic unless it's really necessary.

Dentastix only gives him the runs. I don't want to give him bones. So I wonder if 'Plaque Off' mentioned in another thread is any good?

No worries just correcting it in case you actually didn't realise they get knocked out for it or in case other people were reading. :D

I'm not really a great believer in the whole dry food helps clean teeth arguement. There are some good suggestions in the other thread such as raw carrots and raw chicken wings, have you tried those? Have no experience with plaque off either but I'm also interested in trying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Unfortunately, brushing won't do much good unless your dog's teeth have been scaled and polished first at the vet. If you can get a good routine going after that (minimum every 2nd day) you can help prevent recurrence, although like people who brush their teeth daily, it does eventually have to be done professionally every once in a while.
    I don't personally think dentastix do much, but I think other chew toys do help. Each dog likes different things (for example, my guy will devour anything that's not pretty durable in about 3 seconds flat so it doesn't help with the teeth unless it's tough for him).
    Genetics does play a part too- small breed dogs tend to have far worse teeth than larger breed types, and seem to have problems at an earlier age.
    Your dog's loose tooth may need to be extracted if it can't fall out on it's own- probably causing some irritation/annoyance. If it's loose already it'll probably come out with just a little help under GA though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 liloldeme

tooth pulled was €100 for my dog, she is a small breed. It needed to be taken as it was her baby tooth that didn't fall out. She was 9 months when I got it done. Vet said her teeth were in great shape and to keep them brushed BUT not to force it, if she doesn't let me clean with dog dental brush and paste just to clean with my finger as she is sitting on my knee. Good luck with it!

just to let those interested how this went...........it cost 150 for two teeth to be removed and the rest to be cleaned.

I`d say for older dogs the anesthetic is a huge ordeal, my girl just had a terrible day and she is only 8

Advertisement