Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolute beginner climber question

Options
  • 29-07-2011 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

I'm going to try my hand at climbing soon, I was told I'm grand to wear normal trainers to give it a shot in, but I have at home some surf shoes. Anyone reckon they'd be better for it? They stay on my feet really well and have a lot of grip on them. Or would I be better off in the regular runners?

Again, complete beginner so won't be rushing out to buy gear until I know if it's for me. :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Spelean

Hi ugliest,

You'll soon find the limits of your trainers if you try bouldering on a low wall. By trying out your different foot positions on small edges, you'll find your foot rolling around inside the shoe.
    A rock shoe is a narrower fit with a really soft midsole, this'll mould to your foot and allow you to use sticky rubber and the strength of your foot.

The upper on a pair of trainers isn't tough enough to hold out to the rubbing you'll give it off the rock, so your toes can take a bashing too.

All up, yeah, you can do it... but you won't get very far, even on 'easier' climbs. The outlay for a pair of shoes is worth it, IMO. They give you more control, and they're a lot safer. Runners on smooth damp rock can feel pretty scary.

Hope this helps, Spelean.

Advertisement