Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your First console/computer redux

Options
  • 29-07-2011 5:31pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭

No disrespect to the poster of the first thread but there were way too few options ,I'm going to try and stick up a few more old consoles/computers to vote on!

(fingers crossed I can get the poll working!)
    It was a dodgy pong clone for me , followed by an Atari 800xl , a c64 then consoles all the way

What was your first console/computer 102 votes

Pong!
    0%
    Zx81
    4%
    PlaceboSkerriesalastair_doomDr BobPotential-Monke 5 votes
    Spectrum zx (48k,128 +2 +3)
    0%
    Commodore 64 (128 GS)
    4%
    nesfAuversPatserSrawGlebee 5 votes
    Atari 800xl,800,400,XE
    26%
    _CreeD_Retr0gamerHelixtuxyKilOitmadrabMacker1grizzlyAndrew76GarH5uspectxtal191Damien360NotorietyHSK1979Zimmerframemar-z[Deleted User]Jet Blackrcdk1 27 votes
    Amstrad CPC
    2%
    Sir Digby Chicken Caesar[Deleted User]McCalvin 3 votes
    Sega Master system
    6%
    TheFatTomCokrudlerPogMoThoinMr BloatKrusaderlandsleaving 7 votes
    Sega Megadrive
    1%
    Royale with CheeseBurning Eclipse 2 votes
    NES
    8%
    FunkyT-b0n3UndeadSomnusironictoasterGlico ManJBnaglfarLeeg17VenomIreland 9 votes
    SNES
    5%
    [Deleted User]NewaglishMagillXivilaipablomakaveliAzure_sky 6 votes
    Ps1
    11%
    RobertFosterCorkfeenRedXIVGonzovisionGrimeboxKev_ps3Hank ScorpioHUNKTrevor451martineatworldArPharazonMr.Saturn 12 votes
    Sega Saturn
    1%
    CORavenMister Jingles 2 votes
    Xbox
    0%
    N64
    0%
    Dreamcast
    0%
    Harps 1 vote
    Ps2
    0%
    Gamecube
    0%
    Explosive_Cornflake 1 vote
    Amiga
    0%
    Atari ST
    2%
    SpearDiddy KongLiber8or 3 votes
    ATARI VCS/2600
    1%
    Professey Chinslippy wicket 2 votes
    ATARI JAGUAR MAN!!!!
    6%
    super_furrySirLemonheadd22ontourGunmonkeyAgricolapenev10Jericho. 7 votes
    PC
    0%
    Apple (II/Mac)
    3%
    BlowfishDevilsBreathJames74GisforGrenade 4 votes
    handheld (gameboy/gamegear/lynx/gba)
    1%
    norrie ruggerAntar Bolaeisk 2 votes
    Other (as theres only so many options I can fit , sorry)
    3%
    Ri_NollaigNotoriousrory_K_Godot_ 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Ps1
    I've always been pretty indecisive, so I tend to end up with multiple offerings from a generation. First two were the SNES and the MD, with Gameboy and a Game Gear. I've not stopped since, with the exception of Microsoft's offerings and the PSP, which I've honestly just not gotten around to, will change that soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

My first computer was the Amstrad cpc 464(not on the list). Green screen all the way!
    I was one of very people around to have one. Didnt seem popular at all though.

Piracy was rife back then, much like it is today. Since it used tape cassettes, all you needed to do was pop the original cassette into a dual deck cassette player, a blank one in the other deck and record away. Viola, copied game. Used to make multiple copies back then since the cassettes were quite prone to losing their date. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

handheld (gameboy/gamegear/lynx/gba)
    My first was an Apple II then a Windows 95 machine with a whopping 1GB of hard-drive space, a Widows 98 Packard Bell with a shiney pentium 3 and voodoo extreme graphics card (or was that the 95 machine...) my own Dell Win XP computer and my current custom build PC (not to mention the myriad laptops, netbooks and old servers I have knocking about).

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

ATARI JAGUAR MAN!!!!
    Oh there's 2 polls now. Atari 2600 as I said in the other one.

There was a great 32 games in one cartridge that I had with it. I must dig it out at some stage, I was still working when I last checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

ATARI JAGUAR MAN!!!!
    Atari 2600. Didnt play it on release, Im not that old :p
    My cousin had a battered old 2600 which was handed down to him, we began playing it in the early 90's. We had zero exposure to computers so I think we thought Asteroids and Centipede were the pinnacle of gaming at the time! Then we met another guy down the road who owned a Megadrive and clapped eyes on Mortal Kombat - Minds Blown!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

SNES
    Mine was a NES which i got at 4 years old with Super Mario Bros. 3 which was an awesome introduction to gaming. My dad enjoyed playing as much as me and he used to do the hard sections for me.

Also anyone remeber having to blow on the cartridges to get them to work sometimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Ps1
    Also anyone remeber having to blow on the cartridges to get them to work sometimes?
    bustedtees.f95c2f9564c27720704fd3b52bb8fb1e.gif

:)

My first console was the SNES. I asked Santa for a SNES or a MegaDrive - turns out he's a Nintendo fanboy. I did covet my friends MD though and tried saving for one. However, by the time I had enough money (thanks to my Confirmation) the PlayStation was the talk of the school yard, so I missed out on anything SEGA until I got a Dreamcast after it was discontinued.

I don't think I had very many games for my SNES over it's lifespan (compared to current consoles), but I played Mario All Stars to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Don't see my beloved Commodore 16 on the list.

SNES
    One of my friends had an Atari, but the first console I had was a NES, followed by a mega drive and a playstation/PS2/dreamcast/gamecube/PS3/PSP :)
    The mega drive is probably still my favorite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Zx81
    As said in the other thread, Pong was the first, followed by the Atari 2600!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Atari 800xl,800,400,XE
    C64. Can only remember having trivial persuit and what I think was james bond. Found my snes recently in the attic missing a wire. Unfortunatly the only game with it was the lost world 2:-( Hopefully my other consoles are hidden up there somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sega Master system
    Amstrad CPC 464, got years out of it, ended up buying a colour screen and a floppy drive for it. It was the days even before double deck tape recorders were out, had to copy tapes in a quiet room with two tape recorders. Some great games for it, Wonderboy, Bubble Bobble, Bomb Jack, Dungeons and Dragons, Goldenaxe, Shinobi etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Other (as theres only so many options I can fit , sorry)
    I started off playing games like Paratrooper on an ancient Zenith laptop when I was about 4 and then my first console would've been an original Gameboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Atari 800xl,800,400,XE
    I picked Commodore 64 as it was the first computer/games machine I owned, I had a 2600 and Pong console before that but they were "the families" so I had to share with my brothers.
    Great system the C64 was, nothing beats waiting 2 hours for a game to load only for it to crash at the last minute

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Started off with a Texas Instruments 99/4A, some speccy clone and a BBC Model B. Also had a couple of Amstrad PCW machines and eventually a Megadrive in the house at some point.

Most of the games we had we had to type in ourselves from the pages of the likes of Computer and Video Games magazine, then we had the megadrive and gave up on that idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Ps1
    SNES was the very first one I think.

SNES -> Handhelds -> Dreamcast -> PS1 -> Gamecube -> PS2 -> XBOX 360/wii -> PC

Pretty much gave up on Xbox Live about a year ago and just play PC games now.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,922 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

amiga all the way :)

love that so much

Loved zool so much, love to play again some day :(

new zealand story
    speedball 2 (better than the ****e they release since)
    james pond
    rainbow island

what games they were

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Apple (II/Mac)
    My first was a 286. think my first game was Prince of Persia on the good old 5 1/4 inch disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Sega Master system
    My first gaming machine was a handheld Space Invaders game, which I used to pass around in the playground in school. :) After that, Santa brought me an Amstrad CPC 464, my first introduction to the world of computers. I found out later that it was paid for through the ESB, where my dad worked. A few pound was taken from his wages each week to pay for it - cheers dad! :)

After that it was a SNES, Gameboy, PS1, PC, PS2, PC, Xbox, PC, Wii, NDS, PC, Xbox 360, PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

SNES
    The good old NES. It was pretty much in the Autumn of it's lifespan when I got it but it gave me some great memories before I sold it and got a SNES--the good old days when consoles were reliably and we didn't have the DLC scam.

• Advertisement
Advertisement