Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mountaineering

Options
  • 29-07-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭

im just wondering how does one get started? im based in tralee kerry so are there any clubs around? im not talking rock climbing or anything too extreme just looking to get started off as we have some nice mountains down here in kerry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Here's a good place to find clubs...

http://www.mountaineering.ie/nearestclub/index.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

cool thanks

any idea what would be essential equipment for hiking and mountaineering? any good online shops?

Mountaineering? As a matter of interest, is it possible you mean hillwalking?

I live in Kerry too and agree we have some outstanding mountains, but not sure you need to be a mountaineer to scale them.

not sure what i mean tbh, i suppose hiking or hillwalkng would be closer to what im looking at, what does tralee mountaineering club do? im looking at climbing mountains but without the need of ropes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

What you need is a good pair of hiking boots, a waterproof jacket and a backpack for your lunch, water, camera, etc. Go to your nearest bookshop and buy a book on hillwalking in Kerry. Then, point yourself in the direction of a mountain, follow the directions in the guide, and off you go.

Better to start off with a straightforward climb like Mangerton before tackling something like the Beenkeragh Ridge on The Reeks.

Join a club if you like to walk with a group of people (although trudging along with a crowd, pilgrimage-like, has never appealed to me - I either walk solo or with two or three others. Too many people detract from the experience).

Avoid heading out into the hills in bad weather until such time as you become confident in your navigational skills but if you tackle, say, Mangerton on a fine day you don't need to be familiar with mountain navigation - just follow your nose, the path up and down is well defined and there will be plenty of other walkers on it as well. Even if the weather deteriorated while you're up there it will be easy to find your way back.

Don't think you have to master the skills of map and compass before heading into the hills: you don't - not if you are a fair-weather walker. I've been hillwalking for years and in all weathers and I think I've only ever had to rely on a map and compass to get me out of trouble on about two occasions. Nowadays I carry a GPS unit if the weather is threatening - it's much easier to use than a map and compass. As I say, don't get hung up on that at this stage - just pick a good day and head into the hills.

Regards,

John

thanks john, tbh id like nothing more than to go out on these trails by myself or just with a friend or two just thought id need to join a club to grasp the basics :D what kind of book should i look for? hillwalking in kerry or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

I'm not sure what's available at the moment. Back in the day, there was a very useful guide to the South West written by Killarney man Sean O'Sullivan but I don't know if it's still in print.

If you can't find a useful book in Tralee the Outdoors shop in the Killarney Outlet Centre will probably have something.

Also check out: http://mountainviews.ie/

That is a very useful site and has numerous reports written by various contributors on all the mountains.

Do a Google search on, say, Mangerton and you will invariably find several reports, with photographs, of the walk.

You don't need to join a club to get started. Just be sure to have good hiking boots - and I don't mean Lidl special offers: spend around €130+ and you will get years of use out of them and your feet will thank you for the safety and comfort they provide. I use a pair of Brasher hiking boots myself and they are excellent. See: http://www.brasher.co.uk/catalogue/products/hillmaster-r-gtx-hillgtxmn Again, the outdoors shop in Killarney will have a wide range of boots available.

Regards,

John

Hills of Cork and Kerry - Richard Mersey.
    Kerry Walks - Kevin Corcoran
    Carrauntoohil and MacGillicuddys Reeks - Jim Ryan

Probably all on ebay or amazon. First is rare enough.

Boots boots boots. That'll get you up and out there. As was said above, stay sensible, keep an eye on weather and you don't have to be an expert navigator before heading out. After that, I'd say pick up the obvious as you progress, first aid kit, waterproofs, maps, backpack, fleeces etc. Plus would probably stick to lower lying routes to get your feet and a feel for it, and not try and scale the Reeks or Brandon group in first few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Walking World Ireland is a two monthly magazine. About 4 euro. I've got every issue for about the last 5/6 years.
    Well worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Could it be that the T.V. pictures from the Irish Open inspired you ? God, I was watching it yesterday, and there is no place in the world of golf with that backdrop. Simply beautiful.

just really got into the outdoors in the last year with mountain biking, love it, so i was thinking if i love being out and bout in the middle of nowhere on a bike im sure il like hill walking/hiking, im also looking at taking up kayaking and im thinking of getting into the adventure tourism sector as a career

im thinking of getting into the adventure tourism sector as a career

Woah!

I wouldn't run (or climb or kayak) until I could hillwalk anyway! It takes years of experience to be able to be responsible for someone's health and safety on those hills and rivers. Unfortunately far too many people have died or become seriously injured in this county. I appreciate you don't specify that you want to be out there leading groups of people around, but it is daunting and very responsible. You may think that's over the top, and I accept that thousands go out every year and have a ball. But before I started into it I thought people took the safety element far too seriously and got very uptight. I've learned, sometimes the hard way, stranded on a cliff ledge, walking around in the snow at 2,500 feet not knowing which way led off a cliff, racing against nightfall to make it back off the hills etc. That's not to put you off at all, but get out there first before deciding you have a career in it. I have seen some of the most enthusiastic suddenly discover they don't have a head for heights at all, and end their hillwalking career after one effort.

Its not like ive never been outdoors before :D with the mountain biking you soon find out if you have a head for heights that and a head for going endo over the bars and into a boulder/tree/dirt/painful drop :rolleyes:
    ive tried many other courses (computing, engineering to name a few) and just couldnt stick em due to complete lack of interest, i know i love being outdoors so i figure what the hell lets give it a shot,
    btw i know i am not going to magically become proficient in all these outdoor pursuits its going to take some work but feck it im only 21 so ive plenty of time :D

with the mountain biking you soon find out if you have a head for heights

:D

Where have you been cycling?

Anyway, not all outdoor sports are alike. I wasn't aware cyclists faced the risks of serious falls from cliffs too often. Similarly, there are dangers you get in kayaking, like drowning, that are not foremost on the cyclists mind.

Anyway, I like your enthusiasm. I like team sports. Anyone here know any good clubs and what equipment I might need to become a coach of an NFL American Football team? ;):D

:D

Where have you been cycling?

Anyway, not all outdoor sports are alike. I wasn't aware cyclists faced the risks of serious falls from cliffs too often. Similarly, there are dangers you get in kayaking, like drowning, that are not foremost on the cyclists mind.

Anyway, I like your enthusiasm. I like team sports. Anyone here know any good clubs and what equipment I might need to become a coach of an NFL American Football team? ;):D

you might need to head to america for that ;) i cycle past a few good drops while im on my mtb alright, its a case of look ahead and pray you dont fall off :Dthis looks pretty painful for one, and thats not even a shear drop,

on the subject of kayaking and drowning, ive always been a decent swimmer my whole life and i did a bit of white water rafting there 2 months ago and thought it was class, anyway i doubt you need to be a former world champion at all these sports to get into a tourism career, you just need not to be an idiot (safety and taking risks etc.)

i doubt you need to be a former world champion at all these sports to get into a tourism career, you just need not to be an idiot (safety and taking risks etc.)

I hope Nathan who runs an activity centre and posts here does not see his years of graft and vast experience dismissed as "just not being an idiot"! ;)

Either way, enjoy taking to the hills. Mountainviews is a good site for info, and there are suggested walks on it too. We are certainly spoiled here in Kerry.

ah you obviously need experience im not trying to make small of the job :o i intend to do the adventure tourism course in the itt and possibly move on to scotland for more experience, like anything you have to put a bit of work into it and feck it theres nothing else that i can really see myself doing so might as well see if i can make something out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

HI Icyseanfitz

I think you really should consider joining a club. Have a look at mountaineering.ie to find one near you.

You don't have to stay with them forever but for the price of a membership fee you have access to a huge pool of information and experience. You will meet like minded people and get invaluable advice.

Outside of the colleges the age profile tends to be a bit older than you but that shouldn't be a problem, take advantage of all they have learned over the years. A club that participates in a variety of outdoor pursuits would be a bonus.

Get out there and enjoy it, so much to see and do, could be the start of a great career or lifetime of incredible outdoor experiences.

GO FOR IT !!

Advertisement