Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kickboxing gloves - What weight?

Options
  • 29-07-2011 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am fairly new to Kickboxing, (6weeks)

I want to buy a pair of gloves that are suitable for light sparing and bag work/drills etc

Would a 12 oz pair be suitable?

Thanks For reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Hi all, I am fairly new to Kickboxing, (6weeks)

I want to buy a pair of gloves that are suitable for light sparing and bag work/drills etc

Would a 12 oz pair be suitable?

Thanks For reading

16oz for sparing and 8-10oz for bag & pad work

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

Thanks Dave, I'll aim to get two pairs

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 24 GLENN H

hey I just want to ask you something,do you know if you can use boxing gloves for kickboxing?? thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

As long as they are good quality gloves they should be fine for both. (Twins, top king, sandee etc)

I would advise 16oz for a first pair. Good for sparring and better to get used to hitting pads with what you'll be wearing in the ring (amateur = 16oz AFAIK).

• Registered Users Posts: 24 GLENN H

Thank you very much:), by any chance do you have any idea where I can some 12oz ones under 40 euro?

• Advertisement

Adverts.ie are a good place to watch for 12oz. People buy them but they are too small for sparring in and too big as bag mits so they try and sell them on. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Peetrik wrote: »
    As long as they are good quality gloves they should be fine for both. (Twins, top king, sandee etc)

I would advise 16oz for a first pair. Good for sparring and better to get used to hitting pads with what you'll be wearing in the ring (amateur = 16oz AFAIK).

In Boxing you fight in 10 oz gloves, I think amateur Kickboxing is the same-sparring in both you would tend to use 16oz gloves, also in my club sparring gloves are only for sparring, if you use gloves on a bag i wont let you spar with them as the quality of the glove decreases and is not good for your mates face, 16oz for sparring and 10-16oz for bags depending on preference-I like to use 16oz on bags to build endurance and speed.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    In Boxing you fight in 10 oz gloves

My bad, was thinking of white collar boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭ants09

Under WAKO rules for competitions

semi contact 8oz
    light contact 10oz
    kick light 10oz
    full contact 10oz
    low kick 10 oz

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭black dragon

White Collar Boxing - 16 oz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

White Collar Boxing - 16 oz

I've ran a couple of these and use 16oz but they mostly use 18oz boxing gloves in White collar.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Advertisement