Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community tank suggestions

Options
  • 29-07-2011 3:42pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a 90l tank with only a small group of fish in it now.
    • 4 Male guppies - two adult, two smallish ones
    • 5 Cardinal Tetras
    • 2 Venezuelan Blacks (cory of some sort)
    • 1 (maybe 2 if the other is just hiding) Artimus (sp?) small sucker type fish

Any suggestions on something with a bit of colour. I was tempted by tiger barbs, but am worried about their rep as being nippers. If I was to get 5-6 of those, would that be ok?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

MarkR wrote: »
    I have a 90l tank with only a small group of fish in it now.
    • 4 Male guppies - two adult, two smallish ones
    • 5 Cardinal Tetras
    • 2 Venezuelan Blacks (cory of some sort)
    • 1 (maybe 2 if the other is just hiding) Artimus (sp?) small sucker type fish
    Any suggestions on something with a bit of colour. I was tempted by tiger barbs, but am worried about their rep as being nippers. If I was to get 5-6 of those, would that be ok?

Thanks

According to the rule of thumb of an inch per gallon rule you're pretty much stocked.

5-6 the tiger barbs will get too big for you're tank - you might be able to get away with 3 but I wouldnt mix tiger barbs and the non aggressive fish you have in such a small space.

Dwarf Gouramis are cool
    http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-DwarfGourami.htm

Khuli loach too
    http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/sept07/kuhliloach.htm

Then there's the popular fish like neon tetras, guppies, mollies, platies, danios, cardinals, swordtails.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Might pad it out with some more cardinals. One nice group of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

MarkR wrote: »
    Might pad it out with some more cardinals. One nice group of them.

Sounds good though I dont know how somebody can have a community tank without danios.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Dont put tiger barbs in there at all..they'll nip the tails off any other fish they dont happen to like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

barbs in = dead guppies

swordtails could give you some orange/red (female ones and you might get some free fry!) and maybe a black molly and a white molly for those colours?

• Advertisement
Advertisement