Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to teach recall?

Options
  • 29-07-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Hi we have just started training recall with Lexi and its going well so far. So long did it take ye to train recall to your dog, what breed are they and would you always trust them off lead?

We have just done two evenings of 20 minutes with her using a clicker/whistle combo. Its going really well but dont know if we will ever get to the point where she can be trusted to be offlead with distractions around.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Progress to training it around distractions and you should be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Buddy my rottie is now 10 months (still definitely a puppy) his recall is improving with every walk. As I have said on other posts I use a long leash with treats when he responds to me, when he doesnt he'l get a pull/tug and he will then trot up to me but wont get a treat. I also use his ball and he's improving greatly in the last month with that, when I throw it he'l come straight back with it, not to drop it but just for a wrestle while I try take it from him :p

As for trusting, what do you mean exactly? I'd trust him with anyone, man woman or child no matter what the circumstance is. If you mean to come back when he's off leash then thats a different story as all he wants to do is play and lick your shoes :o so no I cant at the minute trust him to stay by my side off leash.

At the minute he will come to me 75% of the time when I call him if he is off leash. But if there are other people or dogs around I always have him on leash as he will just run over to play with them.

It sounds like you are doing a good job so far so keep up your good work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Hi we have just started training recall with Lexi and its going well so far. So long did it take ye to train recall to your dog, what breed are they and would you always trust them off lead?

We have just done two evenings of 20 minutes with her using a clicker/whistle combo. Its going really well but dont know if we will ever get to the point where she can be trusted to be offlead with distractions around.

I did 5 mins a night for about a week , it all depends on how you train for a recall , i used treats and it worked within the week , she was 5 months at the time.
    Might i suggest you cut down the time , 20 minutes (imo) is too long and the dog might get bored .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

garkane wrote: »
    As for trusting, what do you mean exactly? I'd trust him with anyone, man woman or child no matter what the circumstance is. If you mean to come back when he's off leash then thats a different story as all he wants to do is play and lick your shoes :o so no I cant at the minute trust him to stay by my side off leash.

I mean trusting your dog to come back no matter what is going on around you.
    Shammy wrote: »
    Might i suggest you cut down the time , 20 minutes (imo) is too long and the dog might get bored .

Its not 20 minutes constant recall training but letting her run off lead as we live in a town she doesnt get to stretch her legs properly when on a walk so this is a way to tire her out as well. We just go to the green area in our estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We had to start again with recall after my guys op. I waited until it was quieter in the park (ours allow off lead until 11) and then practiced with a long line, clicked and treats. It worked really really well. When he was off playing with friends I'd call him back and still do just to give him a treat and send him off again. I'd say 3 or 4 sessions on the long line and lots of practice at home, on and off the lead over 3 or 4 weeks to learn it again but i still call him back a lot on walks. Once he was coming back most of the time I started conditioning him to the whistle so we use that sometimes too. I had him at the beach last week and was able to leave him off for about 45 mind and no problems. :) On weekends where we just go to the park (2 mins from the house) rather than the beach I bring the long line for some pratice. We're at the stage now where he'll come running back for his treat once I call him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My dog is 15 months old now, I have been recall training since 9 weeks!!! She is only really starting to get to the point now that I know she will come back in certain situations. If she sees a strange dog or strange person all bets are off until she has thoroughly introduced herself :rolleyes:. I think it's extremely unlikely that she will ever get to the point where she can be let off lead anywhere and be completely trusted. I can let her off in the woods or in fields where there is no-one else to be seen or in any situation where there are only people and dogs she knows and she's like 'velcro dog' most of the time, completely different story if there are new friends to be made!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Our dog pretty much had built in recall, since she was a tiny puppy if you call her name she comes to you, no matter what distractions might be around, it's weird really.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Ive a 7month Husky. Great recall in and around my estate (small and confined) but once you leave for a walk or jog, he will never come back. No matter what Treats or no treats, used long lead technique etc etc. Ive tried them all over the last couple months. He only comes when he feels like it :( . So independent.
    He only gets off lead time when he plays with other dogs in the park (which is enclosed - one way in and one way out). For some reason he comes only then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Ive a 7month Husky. Great recall in and around my estate (small and confined) but once you leave for a walk or jog, he will never come back. No matter what Treats or no treats, used long lead technique etc etc. Ive tried them all over the last couple months. He only comes when he feels like it :( . So independent.
    He only gets off lead time when he plays with other dogs in the park (which is enclosed - one way in and one way out). For some reason he comes only then.

The reason he comes back then is because he knows he can't run off, they're very smart these huskies:D My lot have perfect recall in our enclosed field, but I would never ever let them off in an unenclosed space, they know they can run faster than me.

Please be careful letting him off around the estate, at 7 months he's still at the stage where he will come back sometimes, but that stage is coming to an end. You should definitely still practise recall though, as you never know when he might accidently get free, slip his lead, collar breaks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

How long to teach them to come back no matter what?

3 years and counting:D

No, its not really, he comes back or at least waits where he is, almost every time. He has a few friends we meet on off lead walks that he will bolt when he see's (although not until they're fairly close now), but I'm ok with that as I know them and their owners, and they do play together.

I used the extending leads and called him back for treats etc, but he really couldn't care less about treats, or food, or toys, even a cuddle and praise. I only let him off in certain areas and he will walk nicely along with me, he comes when called and waits when told. Just has these occasional moments when he returns to the lunatic puppy he was, and forgets all training, but as I said its only with those few doggy friends he knows and loves, and he seems to have an invisible limit of about 20m from me.

It really depends on the dog, and the time you put in, my fella really is well trained(i know it doesn't sound it) and knows about 20 commands, and understands a lot more words an phrases(like where's the car keys, you'd swear he was looking for them too).
    Good luck, it sounds like you're doing well.

Oh and i just remembered that I used the turn and walk the other way method too, I'd call, if he didn't immediately start to return I began to walk the other way, he'd spot me walking away and come running. When I heard him coming I'd call again and then praise him for coming back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement