Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's a reliable cheap car with cheap insurance?

Options
  • 29-07-2011 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Here's the situation:

I need a car, don't care how small or basic it is. If its a girls car, fine, as long as its cheap.

Also has to be reliable and not breaking down all the time. And cheap to insure.

What's the best option for me? I've heard Fiesta, Polo, Charade. Any opinions?

:pac: On another note, I'm foreign to Ireland and have no idea on to actually buy or register a car ha. Any protips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

What do you call cheap?

In Ireland you want a small engine whatever, to keep the road tax down.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

it would want to be a very old car if you are looking for a charade

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭everyday taxi

Poonus wrote: »
    Here's the situation:

I need a car, don't care how small or basic it is. If its a girls car, fine, as long as its cheap.

Also has to be reliable and not breaking down all the time. And cheap to insure.

What's the best option for me? I've heard Fiesta, Polo, Charade. Any opinions?

:pac: On another note, I'm foreign to Ireland and have no idea on to actually buy or register a car ha. Any protips?

nissan micra ticks every box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭needadvi

Toyotos are good cars, they are strong and enduring, so even the old ones are reliable. Axa insurance is probably the cheapest insurance out there. I got quotes from all the insurance companys in ireland and the cheapest quote was Axa.

I'm talking about 1,000 Euro in the difference, so that's a big difference. That was two years ago, and I was just a learner with a really old damaged car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭needadvi

To register the car in your name, the person/dealer you buy it from has a log book, your details are filled into this log book and sent off in the post.

A few weeks after you will receive your log book, this is your proof that you have registered and own the car.

Once you insure your car you can go to your local tax office and tax your car. The smaller the size of the engine in old cars the cheaper your tax will be. So a 1.1 would be cheaper to tax than a 1.6.

Tax can be paid in full for the full year, or you can pay it every three months. After the initial taxing of the car in the motor tax office, they will send you out pins to renew your tax online from there on in.

Hope this helps.

PS make sure you get a car with an NCT. It's required by law in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement