Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy 2 Won't turn on

Options
  • 29-07-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Any solutions? It's trying it's best but just gets to the multicoloured "S" and sits and vibrates every couple mins, never had a problems with it before. Phone isn't rooted

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Did it switch itself off (were you doing something when it did this, or did you switch off manually)

Does it definitely have enough power to boot up (maybe a problem with the charging port causing it not to charge properly?)

When you plug it in does it show the charging battery on the screen as would normally do when off?

If the answers to above are yes, can you boot into recovery?
    (Hold Volume +, Home button, and Power button)

I don't have stock recovery as I have ClockWorkMod, so I can't remember the options, but there is likely a factory reset option -this will erase all contact/calendar (unless you are syncing them with gmail or similar), but probably not photos/music.

If that doesn't work but you can get into recovery/download mode (same as above except volume -) then you could always flash a new ROM via Odin - but as you don't know what the problem is and your phone is under warranty, I wouldn't recommend this.

You can always just bring it back to where you got it and get them to fix/replace as it should be under warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Did it switch itself off (were you doing something when it did this, or did you switch off manually)

IT WAS ONLY WHEN I WENT TO TURN IT ON THIS MORNING, IT WAS CHARGING OVERNIGHT

Does it definitely have enough power to boot up (maybe a problem with the charging port causing it not to charge properly?)

THE BATTERY IS SHOWING MARK AS ALMOST FULL

When you plug it in does it show the charging battery on the screen as would normally do when off?

YES

If the answers to above are yes, can you boot into recovery?
    (Hold Volume +, Home button, and Power button)

NO TRIED BUT IT SHOWS - GALAXY S SCREEN, THEN THE "3" SCREEN AND THEN IT GOES TO THE MULTICOLOURED GALAXY S SCREEN, VIBRATES ONCE (AS IT ALWAYS DID) THEN IT HANGS, AND EVERY NOW AND THEN IT VIBRATES

I don't have stock recovery as I have ClockWorkMod, so I can't remember the options, but there is likely a factory reset option -this will erase all contact/calendar (unless you are syncing them with gmail or similar), but probably not photos/music.

If that doesn't work but you can get into recovery/download mode (same as above except volume -) then you could always flash a new ROM via Odin - but as you don't know what the problem is and your phone is under warranty, I wouldn't recommend this.

CAN GET INTO ANY RESET MODES

You can always just bring it back to where you got it and get them to fix/replace as it should be under warranty

TOOK IT BACK TO 3 THIS AM, WAS TOLD THAT IT WOULD HAVE TO BE SENT AWAY BUT NO POINT UNTIL TUESDAY AND IT WILL TAKE A WEEK TO BE FIXED, I COULD TRY UPDATE FIRMWARE WITH KIES OR I COULD RING SAMSUNG IN DUBLIN AND ASK THEM - WELL DONE 3 - REALLY HELPFUL, PHONE IS JUST 3 MONTHS OLD/YOUNG

Thanks for all your help

What a crowd of Wa"&*rs

I don't think you can update through kies unless the phone is switched on!

To get to the reset mode you have to switch it on with the volume up and home keys held when you press the power button

This should bring you to a menu, where I'm pretty sure you'll get a wipe option

Just found a video, it's for galaxy S, but it's the same method, (haven't been able to turn up the sound but presume it's in English

http://youtu.be/gIyYHfb1Afg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Silly question but have you removed the battery and reinsterted then turned it on again?

Sound like its stuck in a bootloop which normally happens if you flash a custom rom wrong but if you werent rooted this shouldnt apply to you.

putting the battery back in,holding volume down,home key and power on is it taking you to the download menu? If it does just flash either the same rom or a newer update, all of which can be found on xda

What a crowd of Wa"&*rs

I don't think you can update through kies unless the phone is switched on!

To get to the reset mode you have to switch it on with the volume up and home keys held when you press the power button

This should bring you to a menu, where I'm pretty sure you'll get a wipe option

Just found a video, it's for galaxy S, but it's the same method, (haven't been able to turn up the sound but presume it's in English

http://youtu.be/gIyYHfb1Afg

Thanks, have tried getting to recovery mode and it doesn't allow me.

What I have is - 1. Samsung IS9000 screen 2."3" screen comes up and 3. Multi-coloured "S" screen - and this is where it stays.

It's going back to "3" today
    Silly question but have you removed the battery and reinsterted then turned it on again?

Sound like its stuck in a bootloop which normally happens if you flash a custom rom wrong but if you werent rooted this shouldnt apply to you.

putting the battery back in,holding volume down,home key and power on is it taking you to the download menu? If it does just flash either the same rom or a newer update, all of which can be found on xda

Have removed battery on several occasions, let the battery run to zero, charged it fully and tried then and still the same problem - It's Stuck !!

Phone not rooted.

How can I flash the sam ROM when I cannot even get past the multi coloured "s" screen ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

You say you can't get to recovery mode.

As the lads suggested - can you get to 'download mode'?
    If you're getting as far as the "S" logo, you should be able to get to it.

Hold 'Volume -', Home button, and Power button until "downloading..." shows on screen. Should only take a few seconds.

If you can get to download mode, you can use a third party software app called Odin to flash a new ROM.

You say you can't get to recovery mode.

As the lads suggested - can you get to 'download mode'?
    If you're getting as far as the "S" logo, you should be able to get to it.

Hold 'Volume -', Home button, and Power button until "downloading..." shows on screen. Should only take a few seconds.

If you can get to download mode, you can use a third party software app called Odin to flash a new ROM.

Tried vol down, home and power buttons and all it does is reboot the phone, until it goes, once again, to the "s" page. :mad:

To be honest I would be reluctant to try to flash a new ROM anyway, as if it doesn't work (there is a hardware problem), then 3 might tell you that you broke it by trying to flash the ROM.

If you can do a hard reset great, if not, I'd stick with bringing it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

vicwatson wrote: »
    ...all it does is reboot the phone...

Reboot the phone? Is the phone on when you try the combination?
    The phone should be off - pull the battery to make sure.

Then turn it on using the combination above. Hold down until either you get the "downloading" screen. Just tried on my S2 and it took maybe 3-4 seconds.

If it's not working I guess you might have to send it back :(

Edit: @Zagato - I'd feel the same but the latest official 3Ireland firmware is available over on XDA.

Reboot the phone? Is the phone on when you try the combination?
    The phone should be off - pull the battery to make sure.

Then turn it on using the combination above. Hold down until either you get the "downloading" screen. Just tried on my S2 and it took maybe 3-4 seconds.

If it's not working I guess you might have to send it back frown.gif

Edit: @Zagato - I'd feel the same but the latest official 3Ireland firmware is available over on XDA.

What I mean by the phone justs reboots is that it goes back through the steps 1. Samsung IS9000 screen 2."3" screen comes up and 3. Multi-coloured "S" screen - and this is where it stays.

I've taken the battery out, held down vol, hold and pressed power and nothing happens.....no dice

Thanks for help lads

• Advertisement

Well it's gone off to be repaired (or replaced). Depending. Girl said that it might be replaced if it can't be fixed as they have no more stock of Galaxy 1.

I've accepted the repair if anything else goes wrong with if I do get this one back then they'll have to offer me a new Galaxy 2.

Thanks for help.

Advertisement