Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex after marriage

Options
  • 29-07-2011 10:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

I was reading the marriage thread and it got me curious. I'm not married myself but would like to hear from those that are whether there was a noticeable change in their sex life after marriage. Is the stereotype true that your sex life plummets after marriage compared to non married couples in same length relationships?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

I don't see how that can be true. Perhaps it says less about the institution of marriage and the effect that it has on a couple's sex life, but more about the type of relationship that lends itself to remaining unmarried and the type that lends itself to marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

married 6 years , I can tell you my sex life is better than ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭LJD10

I dont believe its anything to do with being married as in if you are together 10 years or married 10 years it makes no odds. I was with my partner a loooong time before I got married and we are married a few years now and have gone through good and bad patches over the years. Anway s*x is better than ever now which I believe is purely because we are going through a very happy period with not a lot of stress or worry also. I think when a couple is under extreme presure with illness, bills, career, education, mortages, weddings, babies, family problems etc it can be very overwhelming and time consuming which in turn effects the s*x life, as the couple just end up mentally and physically exhausted. Also if one person is taking on most of the responspility for the above this can result in a build up of discontentment and resentment for the other person which effects their desire or attraction for the other therefore causing a dip in the s*x life.

Anyway thats just my take on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Practice makes perfect :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Chick's POV here, but I don't really see how a married couple's sex life would automatically be worse than an unmarried couple who've been together the same amount of time. All couples, whether married or not, go through peaks and troughs with regards to their sex life. I don't know anyone whose sex life is the same after 5 years as it was at 5 months. And if someone claimed it was, I'd call them a liar.

I don't think any couple can stay at the thrice-a-day level forever. And there's nothing wrong with that. Relationships evolve, and in a good one, when the initial I-want-to-rip-your-clothes-off-all-the-time stage passes, it should mellow into a deeper, slightly more relaxed phase. Having said that, if you're only having sex once a month, and that with the lights off, then yes, that's a problem. But I think it's fallacy to suggest that the second couples walk back down the aisle they're going "Phew, no more sex!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

Is the stereotype true that your sex life plummets after marriage compared to non married couples in same length relationships?
    Jaysus I wish that was true, I've been married for 13 years, I need rest after work and she's gonna ride me to death...

...and in fairness she's damn hot as hell... I can't resist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Marriage...meh.

Its not the marriage (after all its just a bit of paper;)) its the kids that leads to a reduced sex life. When you are awake all night every night for months and years on end with kids feeding and changing nappies and being sick then sex just slips way down the priority list behind sleep and ..... well sleep;).

Sometimes its difficult to find time even once a month but kids dont stay little for long so sex can move back up the list again (i hope:confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jayster74

Reckon its all about life situations to be honest im in my late 30s and been with my wife for 20 years+ and like ya say there are ups and downs depending on the situations right cant say weve had the best of sex lives over the years but hey bar a lotto win kids grown up and well some surgery i will have to live with it but been serious about it weather youre married or not the sex doesnt change because of it well thats my 2 cents in anyway

Advertisement