Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic Bus Signs

Options
  • 28-07-2011 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Apparently, Wicklow is to get 22 electronic bus signs similar to those in Dublin, providing the time between the next bus due at the stop, for both Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus services.

http://www.wicklowpeople.ie/news/county-to-receive-22-electronic-bus-signs-2834046.html
    THE ELECTRONIC BUS SIGNS that have become a familiar sight in Dublin City are to be erected at 22 locations across Co. Wicklow by the end of the year.

The majority of the signs, which give realtime information on what time the next bus is due, will be located in the north of the county and will provide details for both Bus Eireann and Dubiln Bus services.

In Bray, signs will be erected on Main Street (3), Castle Street, Bray Road, Killarney Road, Vevay Road and the train station while two signs will be located at Church Road and the railway station in Greystones.

Other locations will include Newtownmountkennedy ( 2), Kilmacanogue ( 2), Kilpeddar (2), Rathnew (2), Ashford (2), Wicklow and Ballywaltrim.

The announcement last week by Minister for State Alan Kelly was welcomed by Deputy Simon Harris who said the new signs will ' take the guess work out of using public transport'. ' The locations for these signs were chosen based on passenger numbers. I continue to work with my Fine Gael colleagues on Wicklow County Council to ensure other high population zones such as Charlesland, Kilcoole and Newcastle are prioritised for the next wave of funding,' said Deputy Harris.

The news was also welcomed by Deputy Anne Ferris, who felt the signs will be a huge benefit to the people of Wicklow.

'People will be better able to plan their day and know that they'll be able to get back and forth from work or from shopping without the hassle of standing at a stop not knowing whether or when a bus will show up,' said Deputy Ferris, who was also full of praise for the new text-service and phone app which will allow people in areas where there aren't signs to find out when the next bus will arrive.

While this is great for the county, it's an absolute farce that Arklow is not getting a single sign, and is not prioritised to be in the next wave of funding by Harris. Clearly far too much interest elsewhere in the county.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Bray and Greystones are absolutely perfect for me, Ill use nearly every one of those, this is brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I suspect the reason Arklow misses out is that the other towns listed are on the 133 "Commuter" route, with Arklow being "Expressway". They must have decided to install it from the city centre out. But certainly I think it should be rolled out in other locations (including Arklow). It would be particularly handy in places like The Beehive, Lil Doyles, Jack Whites, Inch, etc, where there's no definite time given in the timetable and people are standing around waiting not knowing it left the nearest town on time or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Hannaah

good news :) I'm pretty sure I know the entire 133 timetable off by heard but still any improvement to the transport system is better than nothing.

Advertisement