Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensitive Cat Food

Options
  • 28-07-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm just wondering if anyone could help me or point me in the right direction. Basically my cat (she's around 13-14, she was a stray that we took in) has built up an intolarence to cat food and has been put on a sensitive cat food diet.

I can't seem to find any shops that sell sensitive cat food. I've been ordering it online from http://www.zooplus.ie/ but it takes over a week to get here and is quite expensive.

Does anyone know where I can get sensitive catfood?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Where are you based? It depends on what the brand of food is.
    Some of the Maxizoo stores might have the brand you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

It might take a week to get here, but I doubt you'll find anything much cheaper than Zooplus - I haven't! Is it a grain allergy your cat has? If so, you might be able to switch to one of the premium cat foods with no wheat in it like Orijen and Acana for dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

Heroditas wrote: »
    Where are you based? It depends on what the brand of food is.
    Some of the Maxizoo stores might have the brand you're looking for.

I'm based in Dublin.
    Blueprint wrote: »
    It might take a week to get here, but I doubt you'll find anything much cheaper than Zooplus - I haven't! Is it a grain allergy your cat has? If so, you might be able to switch to one of the premium cat foods with no wheat in it like Orijen and Acana for dry.

I'm not too sure what kind of allergy, just that she can't have the cat food anymore.
    I'll check them out, thanks for your replies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

There's a couple of Maxizoos in Dublin. You might contact one of them but, to be honest, I doubt they'll be cheaper than ordering the food online. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

http://www.husse.ie

I have an older cat with sensitive digestion and we feed him this:

http://www.husse.ie/cat-food-products/dry-food-for-cats/?product=106

Now our other cat has stopped eating her own food and will only eat this too. They deliver for free and its almost always next day.

• Advertisement

http://www.husse.ie

I have an older cat with sensitive digestion and we feed him this:

http://www.husse.ie/cat-food-products/dry-food-for-cats/?product=106

Now our other cat has stopped eating her own food and will only eat this too. They deliver for free and its almost always next day.

Thanks for the links, I'm going to order some of that.
    My other cats (2 elderly and one 4yr old) love her food too. Its getting hard to seperate them lol

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Is it an intollerance to the food, or an allergy? An intollerance is when she's throwing up/runny stools, an allergy is when she breaks out in a rash/looks hair etc. What food are you giving her right now? Did the vet offer any explanation as to exactly what is wrong with her?

I love how on the Husse cat food website, they mention corn under digestion, but cats cant properly digest corn so how exactly is that helping?

Shanao wrote: »
    Is it an intollerance to the food, or an allergy? An intollerance is when she's throwing up/runny stools, an allergy is when she breaks out in a rash/looks hair etc. What food are you giving her right now? Did the vet offer any explanation as to exactly what is wrong with her?

I love how on the Husse cat food website, they mention corn under digestion, but cats cant properly digest corn so how exactly is that helping?

It's an intolerance to the cat food. She was having diarrahea that wouldn't go away. Also she would go in the sitting room or my bedroom which she never would do before. She's the first one to use the litter tray. It was like she couldn't get to the litter tray fast enough.

She lost a lot of weight (she's a very small cat) and now is starting to put on weight.
    I've been feeding her Integra Sensitive, Royal Canin Digest Sensitive and Kattovit Sensitive. Also I bought some Royal Canin sensitivity food from the vets. She seems not to like the food anymore. She just wants the other cat food.
    I've ordered some different ones to see if she likes them better.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Is she on any dried food, or just wet? I wouldn't bother with the royal canin pouches anyway, just try and get her onto a grain free diet. If she'll eat a bit of dried food, you might be best off trying something like http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/porta_21/170966

This food has no grains and is very low in carbohydrates. You'll probably find it cheaper to order stuff from zooplus.co.uk.
    They have an own brand food in Maxi Zoo if there's one near you called Real Nature that I occasionally give my cats, its in tin form, its got a really high meat content with no grains and its a completely natural food- no chemicals, preservatives and all that crap put into it so that might be an idea to try as well.

Hope some of this helps

Thanks a mill Shanao, thats been a huge help.

Edit: I forgot to say, she's on a mix of dry and wet food. The one I got from the vet is called Science Plan Active Longevity. Well sometimes she'll eat a bit and other times she wont.

• Advertisement

Just thought I'd let people know who use www.zooplus.ie
    They seem to be having trouble processing payments from paypal. If you use the site I'd recommend using a credit card instead.
    I've had trouble trying to contact them as the number listed on their site doesn't seem to work.
    I contacted them through paypal and my order is being processed now (thank God). Anyway I hope this helps.

Advertisement