Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touring on Aluminium Road bike?

Options
  • 28-07-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Specifically the Felt F85:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f85-2011

I'm checking for a friend who is about to buy one of these.

Now he's primarily using it for all the other things it is designed for, but if down the line he wanted to do a bit of light touring, is it possible to mount a rack and/or panniers on this frame. Does it have eyelets? Or is there another decent solution? It is aluminium with a carbon fork.

He's not concerned about comfort or the shape of the bike, purely the mechanics and physics of carrying panniers on such a frame?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

There aren't any eyelets for mudguards or racks, but you could stick some on with P-Clips and do some credit card touring without much issue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

P-Clips are a very compromised solution.

This looks better, though I've never seen it in action: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tubus-adapter-set-for-qr-axle-mounting

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

I've done light credit card touring on a carbon fibre road bike using a Topeak RX seatpost clip on jobbie. No issues at all. I think that can take a max of 7kg of load, which should be adequate and not impact the frame.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

He's not concerned about comfort or the shape of the bike, purely the mechanics and physics of carrying panniers on such a frame?
    There aren't any eyelets for mudguards or racks, but you could stick some on with P-Clips and do some credit card touring without much issue

The lack of eyelets for panniers would be a bigger issue, P-clips would work for mudguards but load bearing for panniers I can't see it working to well

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

I bought pannier racks which fit on the rear wheel skewer and the rear brake callipres. Have done some light touring with them and they're great. Work a treat for touring on a carbon or aluminium frame....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

281279_10150313054235306_726840305_9829095_561344_n.jpg

Light touring no problem. You can get racing mudguards which connect to the main brake bolt.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

leftism wrote: »
    I bought pannier racks which fit on the rear wheel skewer and the rear brake callipres. Have done some light touring with them and they're great. Work a treat for touring on a carbon or aluminium frame....

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds like there are a few options alright. This one from leftism sounds like a safe way to bear the load.

Btw, "credit card touring"? Does this mean without carrying your accommodation or is it even more lightweight? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

Light touring no problem.

Heh, light touring. Leave the workshop at home :p

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

Capt Havoc - that is impressively light touring. Shapo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Coronal wrote: »
    Heh, light touring. Leave the workshop at home :p

Yeah, hard to believe there's a truing stand in there, eh :D
    Capt Havoc - that is impressively light touring. Shapo.
    Credit card touring is minus your accommodation and anything that is unnecessary. You buy anything you need on the way and stay in hotels/ hostels. I wouldn't be a fan of covering a short distance every day, I like to get as much done as possible.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
Advertisement