Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

painting dark laminate wood?

Options
  • 28-07-2011 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I recently moved into an old house which used to be a b+b. It hasn't been updated much since the 1980s and because all of the rooms used to be bedrooms, there are loads of wardrobes with laminate doors, laminate panelled borders around the middle of each wall and laminate panelling the whole way down along the stairwell. They look absolutely terrible and any bit of decoating i do make them stand out even more. The landlord has given me permission to paint them but im not so sure that it'd be that straightforward. Somebody told me that laminate looks terrible when painted over. Does anyone have any advice??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

It looks terrible painted. Dont do it. If your renting then there is nothing that would be afford-ably worth your while doing TBH. But if you were planning on staying a good few years then removing or slabbing over would be your best bet. Slabs are about 7euro a sheet and come 8ft by 4ft. Then joint filler the gaps and your laughing. Only other thing I can think of is to wallpaper the laminate with thick lining paper and paint that.

So basically no I wouldnt paint them and I wouldnt advise you do either.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bazmak

get some e.s.p from any good paint shop or woodies etc. and wipe it on. gives a great base for paint to stick to . just undercoat an hour or so later & finish coat the next day & whatever you paint should look fine!
    easy surface prep its actually called but its branded e.s.p

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bazmak

Paul.C wrote: »
    It looks terrible painted. Dont do it. If your renting then there is nothing that would be afford-ably worth your while doing TBH. But if you were planning on staying a good few years then removing or slabbing over would be your best bet. Slabs are about 7euro a sheet and come 8ft by 4ft. Then joint filler the gaps and your laughing. Only other thing I can think of is to wallpaper the laminate with thick lining paper and paint that.

So basically no I wouldnt paint them and I wouldnt advise you do either.

if it was my own house i totally agree with paul but get the e.s.p some cheap undercoat & a cheap paint and give it a go if you can ,test it on small area just to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

bazmak wrote: »
    get some e.s.p from any good paint shop or woodies etc. and wipe it on. gives a great base for paint to stick to . just undercoat an hour or so later & finish coat the next day & whatever you paint should look fine!
    easy surface prep its actually called but its branded e.s.p

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Thanks lads!

• Advertisement
Advertisement