Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzards and Grey Squirrels.

Options
  • 28-07-2011 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

My population of grey squirrels seems to have plummeted, not that that will keep me awake at night. More buzzards have moved into this part of Kildare lately. Has anyone ever actually seem a buzzard take a grey? If it happens surely I would have spotted something. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

wouldn't imagine a gray would be much of a match for a buzzard! The more of them get killed the better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Buzzards hunt mainly over open ground, not where you'd expect greys to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

The Buzzards in my area usually hunt in the same spot, open ground around an area of small forrestry. Would reckon they might get the odd one there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

arynne wrote: »
    My population of grey squirrels seems to have plummeted, not that that will keep me awake at night. More buzzards have moved into this part of Kildare lately. Has anyone ever actually seem a buzzard take a grey? If it happens surely I would have spotted something. Thanks.

I don't know what part of Kildare you are in but the spread of native Pine Martens has halted the Grey's gallop in many areas. They are certainly around Naas now(seen one dead on M7 near big ball 2 years ago). Many people don't know they have them since they are rather secretive and mainly nocturnal

PS: I know a number of buzzard plucking posts in my area and the main live prey appears to be rabbits and rats. On particular post near me did have Grey remains and this was adjacent to a large wood which does hold this species.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Buzzards hunt mainly over open ground, not where you'd expect greys to be.

They will hunt forest clearings too though and I suspect they will pick up an unwary grey given half a chance(especially given the fact that this species spends more time on the ground compared to the native red)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Bsal

I remember from BBC's Springwatch back in May they had a camera on a Buzzards nest and they where bringing in quite a few Grey Squirrels and snakes! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They will certainly take a Grey Squirrel if they can get one - and often do. However they are not a huge part of their diet and I can't see them decimating a local squirrel population - not that that would be any harm with Greys anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

The local group have taken to soaring over the Glen Of the Downs treetops. I've often thought that's what they were looking for. Unfortunately the greys are established in that wood now.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

my money is on the pine marten.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

I have seen 2 Buzzards almost every moring on the M50 heading towards Bray. Mostly perched on the street lights

I'll be up at 6 am tomorrow hoping to photographg them.

I'll post some pics if I'm succesfull.

Also, are there pine martins in the Glen of the Downs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

thefly wrote: »
    I have seen 2 Buzzards almost every moring on the M50 heading towards Bray. Mostly perched on the street lights

?
    YEP, I SEE THEM TOO. NOT SURE ABOUT MARTENS IN GOTD

YEP, I SEE THEM TOO. NOT SURE ABOUT MARTENS IN GOTD

Spent a day in the rain yesterday waiting and waiting but no sign. Ah well, there is always next weekend

Saw him this morning on one of the lamposts. I feel like the photograher in the KitKat ad trying to photograph the Pandas in the zoo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Took a walk up to Carton house last week and was shocked by the amount of grey squirrels,there were loads.
    I have never seen a Buzzard but will keep an eye out and the camera at hand.
    Last year we had huge birds that were never identified flying over .

Advertisement