Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 and RTE live

Options
  • 28-07-2011 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I am wondering if I can ask other users to check this with me. I have a HTC Desire (2.2) and the latest version of flash. I am with O2 and was happy enough, but lately I have noticed that one of the best features of the HTC (esp around rugby season), the fact that the flash comparability allowed me to watch matches when away from the TV on RTE Live has seemed to stop working. I am not sure if this is an issue with my phone or something more general. I suspect O2 of blocking it, but they have said it is not on their side. Can people check this on their phones and let me know if they can connect?

www.rte.ie/live

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

In what way do you think it';s blocked ?
    I've tried on mine and can get as far as the programme selection and then presented with a grey screen or loading, could be my connection speed where I am tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭munkifisht

Not sure how it's blocked. I would assume that if it's deliberate it's done by filtering the stream, much in the same way youtube, social networking etc is blocked by many companies. but you are describing exactly what I am seeing, and I've seen that for a few months, so I don't think it's a connection issue. It may well be a problem on RTE's end

O2 say that it's not on their end, so will try to get in contact with RTE and see if it's them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Just tried it on my desktop and get more or less the same.
    Grey screen and the timer keeps going round and round etc....

So it would seem it's an RTE problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

just sign up for www.magnetwebtv.ie takes 2 mins and you can watch rte1, rte2, tv3 etc very handy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

don't you need to have an internet with magnet to get these channels???

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

akamossie wrote: »
    don't you need to have an internet with magnet to get these channels???

no you dont, you may need it to get bbc and such but for all the irish channels you just sign up with an email address and you can watch away, just after watching the 3.35 at galway, no problems at all

Ok, so here's the deal. You may remember that many moons ago RTE had a Flash and a Real Player option for all their streams. They dumped the RP option and kept the flash, but they must have decided to go back to RP (pos to reduce their bandwidth), so what RTE Live is now is a flash player with an embedded Real Player file. To watch it on any device you need RP, which Android doesn't support (yet). @alanc2003, big thanks for that link, great service, was using it all day yesterday for my TV, on a totally different note I wonder if smartphones are able to support TV streams, does that means that they will be subject to a license fee much in the same was as is being proposed for PCs.

Advertisement