Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research for a business project

Options
  • 28-07-2011 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

How many guitar players in Ireland? could anyone give me a rough estimate?
    Doing a project for a business course.
    Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Do you mean professional guitar players, amateur guitar players, people who occasionally play the guitar, people with a guitar in the attic or people who may have strummed a guitar once in their lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

BornIn84 wrote: »
    How many guitar players in Ireland? could anyone give me a rough estimate?

How many insecure spotty teenagers desperate for a girlfriend and self-deluded fools*?

*Both from personal experience :)

As Malice said though, that's some undertaking to try and find out.
    If it's for a business plan, then there's guitarists, and guitarists willing to part with cash. Half the guitarists* on this forum can't bother their arse turning up to a jam once it's been arranged so beware of those saying they'd be interested in whatever your business plan is as when the time to put up or shut up comes you could end up out of pocket.

*bag of fag box estimate

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

How many insecure spotty teenagers desperate for a girlfriend and self-deluded fools*?

*Both from personal experience :)

Must be a bassist. Aka failed guitarist. ( sorry Malice I know you play)

8 stringed bass! 2 more than the piss easy 6 string thing.

I hate to go off topic here but did you see that Dublin death metal band whose guitarists plays a 9 string? Madness.

• Advertisement

Careful now, all the Bands & Musicians forum mods are bassists. You don't want to upset us all :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

Would it be safe to say that there is a guitar for every household in Ireland?

Also, if ot's for a business plan, I think it would also be safe to say that the majority of those who are guitarists have the most expendable income of all musicians- spotty teenagers and the like, plus the outlay on the instrument itself is a lot less for than most others for playing at low/amateur level, even up to semi professional.

I think it would also be safe to say that the majority of those who are guitarists have the most expendable income of all musicians- spotty teenagers and the like
    I might be mis-understanding you but it was only once I got a job paying a decent wage that I was able to afford good quality gear. Unfortunately I was long out of my teens at that stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

Well, kind of misses the point. I was saying that a lot of the 'guitarists' have far from quality equipment, yet are still able to turn a buck. Even if the goal is not to play for money, it is far easier to set up on a budget, leaving a cashflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I hate to go off topic here but did you see that Dublin death metal band whose guitarists plays a 9 string? Madness.

Madness are a London ska / pop band. Do your research.

• Advertisement

Madness are a London ska / pop band. Do your research.
    Well done

Pah, I'll see your 9 string guitar and raise you an 11 string bass:

Malice wrote: »
    Pah, I'll see your 9 string guitar and raise you an 11 string bass:
    That's just obnoxious! He's not even that good. Not Brain Drill standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

thanks for turning my post int s**te as usual. Im just looking for a rough estimate of players. people who pick it up and strum everyday all the way up to pro's. cheers

BornIn84 wrote: »
    thanks for turning my post int s**te as usual.
    Comments like that aren't going to help now are they? Admittedly we did ramble way off the subject but the fact is that your question doesn't have a straightforward answer. Maybe there is some research available online where someone has a statistic like 43% of Irish adults have played a musical instrument which you could then use to extrapolate a rough guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dudeabides

you guys have too much freetime on your hands

dudeabides wrote: »
    you guys have too much freetime on your hands
    What makes you think that?

the_clock.jpg

I was actually thinking about this today.

Perhaps your best bet would be to take a random sample of say 100 people and ask them whether they play guitar professionally, seriously, from time to time or never.

That could give you average figures for the population.

raindog.promo: The image in your post isn't coming up for me. Try hosting it on http://www.wthax.org.

http://wlipscomb.tripod.com/images/the_clock.jpg

It's a guy with too much time on his hands.
    I both help and derail the thread at the same time. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement