Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon seatpost / aluminium frame - How to best avoid problems?

Options
  • 28-07-2011 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Would anyone have any experience or advice on carbon seatposts in aluminium frames?
    I'm considering getting a CF seatpost and was concerned about the seatpost seizing in the tube or the aluminium corroding over time.
    Having read up on the topic it seems these are common problems.

I was wondering if there is a best approach to prevent problems with the cf/alu contact surfaces.
    Opinions seem to be mixed on whether grease/paste is beneficial or not.
    In fact the only approach I didn't see contradicted was to use a non-alu shim between the seatpost & seattube. (as suggested by Craig Calfee here)

I also found this thread in which blorg (I assume there is only one! :)) recommends USE thermoplastic shims, although not in the context of CF vs alu.

So, in summary...
    CF post & alu tube:
    1) Grease/paste (perhaps removing, cleaning, & reapplying regularly)?
    2) shim between cf & alu surfaces?
    3) 2 clean surfaces & cross ur fingers?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Use carbon assembly paste, it is great stuff. You only need a shim if you have a smaller seatpost (a smaller seatpost will be less stiff, but maybe a little more shock absorbing.) Before I used assembly paste I went with nothing and never had a problem. Assembly paste reduces required torque, so less chance or damage. Also gets rid of squeaks, and would prevent seizing- although I've not had that with a carbon seatpost even with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭murtagh

Thanks!

Advertisement