Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

07 Ford Marked Patrol Cars

Options
  • 27-07-2011 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭

Just an observation, but am I correct in thinking that the light bars on all of the 07 marked patrol vehicles were changed from the originals.

The current lights are fitted on little roof brackets which lift the light bars a few inches from the roof of the cars and might i add they look crap. And to add to that then the little piece of cable kopex tubing which comes from the light bar and down onto the roof, yeac.

Was it a batch issue with the original ones, a case of the lights being at incorrect angles?

Anyone know, am I correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

kub wrote: »
    Just an observation, but am I correct in thinking that the light bars on all of the 07 marked patrol vehicles were changed from the originals.

The current lights are fitted on little roof brackets which lift the light bars a few inches from the roof of the cars and might i add they look crap. And to add to that then the little piece of cable kopex tubing which comes from the light bar and down onto the roof, yeac.

Was it a batch issue with the original ones, a case of the lights being at incorrect angles?

Anyone know, am I correct?

I think they were just used like that for greater visibility. They're the exact same lightbars, just on plastic arms instead of on the roof.

By the way I agree that they look absolute cack.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

I've noticed too, but were they changed from their original lightbars or did they look like this since they entered service? I cant recall ever noticing all of a sudden...
    Its very common for Asian police forces to do this for their very congested city streets:
    Japanese_police_car.jpg
    Makes sense, if a little silly looking!

Do any Irish units have telescopic light fixtures like the UK Range Rovers used have in the past? For use while the vehicle is stationary at RTA's etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

the psni have ranger rovers for RPU that have the telescopic light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Traffic used to have 4x4s with fold up lighting on the roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Here's a picture of one.

5694098437_8538a9648b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Still any AGS members out there know for sure? I thought they were retro fitted. Actually those front wing l.e.d.s as well, were they a retro fit or where the 07's the first batch with them?

kub wrote: »
    Still any AGS members out there know for sure? I thought they were retro fitted. Actually those front wing l.e.d.s as well, were they a retro fit or where the 07's the first batch with them?

It seemed to just be a batch that got those ones. There are 07's with the normal Haztec lighting and the 07 Traffic Corp have the Haztec because of the rear reds.

I noticed at the start of the year that a patrol car (not Traffic Corps) had it's lightbar changed.

It was about the same time we got the Toyota (or at least it was around the same time that I noticed it. Could've been like that for a long time and I just noticed them around the same time).

They didn't raise it up though (thankfully, as it looks absolutely terrible!), they just changed it to a newer looking lightbar, I believe.

It went from the big square lightbar to one of the newer looking, lower, rectangular ones.

So the old one was like the one at the front of this image, and the newer one is like the second one in this image (Though not raised up)

ob7p58821.jpg

If that makes any sense?

(Of course, I should point out that I can't actually say with any certainty that the car did have it's lightbar changed, it could've been a car visiting from another station, or there could've been two cars and I just never noticed, etc. but I do believe it was the same car just with a newer light bar, or i wouldn't have bothered to post :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Thanks for that KKV, the lower picture seems to have the blue sections split, ie. where the black band is, so are these the ones now that are gone? as I think the gammy looking ones do not have splits on them.

I am now thinking that logically it may have a lot to do with the weather in this beautifull land of ours, was the rubber on these bands failing and letting the uisce in?

By the way, I was driving along a quay in Cork City centre last Saturday, heard sirens on the opposite quay, ie Patricks Quay. The racket was coming from one of the new Toyotas in full flight, I must say the blue l.e.d.s on these vehicles both on the roof and front are fanastic, considering the sun was shining on the vehicle at the time and I must have been 30 meters from it.

I have to admit with my own experience of l.e.d. lights this was the first time I had to admit they were better that conventional lighting.

Advertisement